Radios with the proper shaft sizing

Old July 6th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Radios with the proper shaft sizing

Hi Guys,

Anybody know which older Pioneer dual shaft stereos fit the 70-72 Cutlass dash. I measure the shaft spacing of the original Oldmobile radio at 6 3/8". I know some of the older Pioneer radios had adjustable shafts that spread that far apart, but I can't find a website that tells me what model numbers those decks are. I know Alpine made a few back in the day that fit as well.........but I really want a Pioneer for that vintage Day 2 look. Anybody?

thanks,
bob
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bobb
Hi Guys,

Anybody know which older Pioneer dual shaft stereos fit the 70-72 Cutlass dash. I measure the shaft spacing of the original Oldmobile radio at 6 3/8". I know some of the older Pioneer radios had adjustable shafts that spread that far apart, but I can't find a website that tells me what model numbers those decks are. I know Alpine made a few back in the day that fit as well.........but I really want a Pioneer for that vintage Day 2 look. Anybody?

thanks,
bob
Personally, I'd get my stock radio converted by one of the vendors who does that rather than cut the dash to fit an aftermarket unit.
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Personally, I'd get my stock radio converted by one of the vendors who does that rather than cut the dash to fit an aftermarket unit.
X's 2
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Almost all of the old pioneer radios had adjustable shafts!
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:02 PM
1971 Cutlass S

I went on a search when I got my 71 for a post style radio which would go wide enough to fit the very wide holes in the Cutlass dash - I found only one model by Polk Audio which would go wide enough to fit the holes without modifying the dash. It was actually a very inexpensive radio - was about $35. I don't know model number right now off the top of my head - but I encountered another issue when I got the radio unit. The posts fit the holes fine when expanded to their widest setting - BUT - and it was a BIG BUT - the center square piece of the radio was about 1/8 of an inch too wide for the center hole in the Cutlass. So - what I did was a bit of a chore as I really did not want to cut my dash and I was on a very limited budget. I took the brand new radio completely apart and trimmed down the center pieces sides with a grinder so that it would fit the hole in the dash. It was a pain in the *** to do - but it worked out well in the end. The radio fits the hole fine - it is 100 watt system with a USB port which is the one thing I wanted. The center piece after modifying it fits the width of the hole but is about 1/8 smaller on the top and the bottom - which you really can't notice. It would not be noticeable at all if the dash face plate that came with the radio actually had the holes wide enough for the Cutlass holes - but the plate would not fit over the posts after the radio was installed - the posts where now too wide. I am sure I could make my own plate, but to be honest I have not bothered with it.

If anyone wishes to know the model number of the radio - just ask in this thread and I will post it when I get home from work. This was certainly the cheapest way out for me without cutting the dash - and it sounds good enough - not great - but good enough to have some tunes playing when cruisin'.

Someday I may invest in one of the old style units that has been revamped, but for the $35 I spent and a few hours of my time - this worked out OK for me.
Old July 7th, 2011, 03:08 PM

Joe,

No worries....I'm not touching my dash. I talked to a guy who restores old vintage radios and he confirmed that some of the early Pioneer units, probably the KP series, fit the dash without modification. I found a good site that lists the Pioneer decks but they only list the Pioneer chassis size code, which range from A to M3.....I haven't found the secret decoder ring that translates those codes to inches between the shafts.

Alpine also makes a component am/fm cassette that has shafts that spread the width I need....and the nose does fit the stock opening....but I really want a Pioneer. Back in the day I always lusted after a Supertuner Pioneer, but never had the cash to waste on such frivolous things. Worst case if I can't find one is I'll by a Pioneer KP 500 underdash AM/FM Cassette....I've always liked them too.

But just to make sure I'm not missing the point here......can you guys tell me the vendor's names who convert the stock Olds radios to modern day electronics?

thanks,
bob