'55 Horns

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2007, 06:21 PM
troberts6

'55 Horns

I have my 1955 Olds 88 horns of the car and there is a rattleing coming from the inside. Is it an easy fix? or should I try to get some new ones somehow? Also are the relays fixable or can someone direct me to a new set?

thanks

Old July 17th, 2007, 08:16 PM

relay

i just went through finding a horn relay/junction block for my 65 olds. the auto parts store was able to cross ref a bunch of numbers and come up with a new version that would have worked, so they say. i ended up in a junk yard and found one in a car that was maybe a year or two older. it works. as far as the horns go. i dont know if they would be bad or not. on you can use a light tester and see if you have power at the plug that goes onto the horn. that would tell you if its the horn or the relay. chris
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Past Administrator

I just took the two 6 volt horns off of my '46 project. I am in the process of re-wiring everything and changing to a 12 volt system. The horns worked fine with the old 6 volt battery but when I tried them with the 12 volt source they wouldn't work. It was a battery charger with an 8 amp limit so I am thinking that the limit on the current is the problem and they might work with a 12 volt battery. I say all this to recommend that you make sure the wiring isn't limiting the current on your horns. If you can isolate one horn and use a jumper wire from the battery to the horn terminal (almost ALL horns ground by mounting them) that would tell you for sure. It should sound if you have a wiring problem, or a ground problem. If it doesn't sound then the horn itself might be just too old. I think they used some kind of polymer or plastic for the diaphrams on those horns and it might be old and brittle. I found this site if you want to have them rebuilt.
http://www.classiccarhorns.com/
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM
troberts6

thanks for the information