72 Cutlass convertible dash speaker

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2007, 07:21 AM

72 Cutlass convertible dash speaker

I have been working with this, in my spare time, for a couple weeks now and have frustrated myself almost to the point of tears with this radio/speaker, in my '72.

When I turn on the radio it lights up but I get no thump from the speaker and nothing is heard when I scan the dial.

I have verified that this is a speaker problem by connecting a spare speaker to the radio. It plays just fine with volumn and tone control, and I pick out stations as I scroll across the dial, so the radio and antenna are good.

Since this is a convertible I can easily take the bucket seats out and lay down semi comfortably to work under the dash. I have had the radio out but there is a plastic vent extension above the radio that I don't seem to be able to get to. I can't contort my arms in such a manner so as to reach it, to free it. The speaker is behind(above) the vent extension. Even if I get the vent off I am not sure I can get my hands up there far enough to get the speaker bracket loose and the speaker out.

I have been tempted to take it to a place that installs stereo's and radios but I don't want them screwing up a perfect 1972 dash.

Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated.

PS: I can drive it reasonable distances....I haven't had it on any long trips in a long time but for local Sunday drive activity it runs great and I take it out every fair weather week-end I can. If there is someone close to my location that be willing to provide some hands on help, that would be even better.

Thanks for any forth coming info.
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Past Administrator

I suffer from the same malady, hands/arms/body too big and not flexible enough to work well under the dash up-side down. I hate it sometimes. Perhaps just using some speakers in the kick-panel or under the dash in an open space for now and just leave the bad one there? If you are wanting to restore it to original, maybe you could find a small, wiry, flexible, dexterous person to be your friend.
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Freedom Fighter

Gee, never even thought to pull the front seat out. Good advice. I spent a complete Saturday installing a 'hidden audio' system in my 67 Delta convertible. 2 trips to the chiro doc later.....

My stock radio is intact but the front speaker is missing (all sound to rear for now) completely. I installed the new style 'chassis integrated' speakers. These can 'float' (not required to be hard mounted). I used chassis strap (that 1/2 metal strip with lots of holes) to mount them underneath the dash.

I talked with the installers at both Car Toys and Circuit City and they use this method all the time for custom cars. I did not want to modify any of the dash or quarter panels (vents intact too).

Hope you get 'sound' advice and get her fixed.
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the replys. A small dexterious guy would be good but anyone that small and that dexterious would have be very young, I think. Perhpas too young to have the patients to handle this job?

I am leaning toward the kick panels or doors or possibly under the seats. This is a convertible so I don't have a rear deck to mount rear speakers and the front seats are bucket seats. Easy to remove and possibly a place for an adhock speaker or two?

I will have to give it some thought.
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Freedom Fighter

I have a convert too but as its a 'B' (as in big) body car, I have lots of room under the dash. I have not installed 'rear' speakers yet, for same reasons. There is a slight amount of clearance behind the seat, just clearing the rear glass when dropped (I always un-zip mine before dropping the top). I'm concerned about the clarity if installed behind seat. My stock speaker in in back seat center grill.
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Nordic Blue 442

According to the Service manual you have to remove the ac Duct you are referrinf too as well as the vents in the dash. The Service manual shows you how to do this.
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:07 PM

Problem solve

I took the radio, clock and venting out and finally was able to gte the speaker replaced.

I upgraded the radio to AM/FM while I was at it.

I was not 'fun' but I feel great now that it is done and the radio works.