67 cutlass resistor

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2011, 12:24 AM

67 cutlass resistor

Could somebody help me if at all possible. I have a 67 cutlass and I'm in need of a resistor for the blower motor. I have attached a picture of the one I have, but I'm in need of a new one because this one doesn't work anymore. I've tried eveywhere to locate one, but the prongs are not in the right position. Anyone have an idea where I could get one like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cutlass resistor.jpg (63.3 KB, 19 views)
Old February 12th, 2011, 04:39 AM

Are you 100% sure its bad, whats the problem? Do you have AC? Fusick sells new ones for non AC.
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Registered

I looked at the service manual over at Wild About Cars and it shows a three prong resistor?
The wiring schematic shows three wires to the resistor from the control too, brown-blue-green and the brown pigtails out and goes to the blower motor.
This does mount to the top of the heater case inside the car?
It looks like the A/C resistor type is mounted on the outside and is shaped differently so it isn't that.
The Canadian online parts catalog shows the resistor as part #9793206 for all 65-67, I did a search and some Corvette place has them and they're the three prong type.
Maybe they made a change during the model year or somebody coudn't find the right one and used that?
If that extra lug is common with one of the others that could be possible, does that single lug wire go to the blower motor?
Otherwise...got me?
Old February 12th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Far as I know heat-only (which is shown in the main diagram in the manual) is 3-prong, and A/C (which is only shown in a separate diagram in the A/C section of the manual) is 4-prong, but '67 is one year earlier than I'm used to, so it could be different.

And, as Bob said, make sure it's bad. Failure mode is generally a broken or melted coil - if the coils are intact, the unit should be good, and it's probably a dirty connection.

- Eric
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:37 PM

This is for an ac car. The single prong goes to the blower motor. The reason why I say it is bad is because one of the resistors is broke. I ordered one from the parts place inc. and it does have the four prongs but they do not align up the same. The prongs go sideways instead of long ways.
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Your best bets may be either the junkyard, or to post a couple more pics in the Wanted section and see if anyone here has one.

- Eric
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:35 PM

I might have a good one from a 66 cutlass. Will it work??? PM me.
Old February 21st, 2011, 08:01 PM

Here's a couple comparison pictures I took last fall when I was getting started converting my A/C car to heater only. The A/C resistor is on the left, the one for a standard heater is on the right.

(click to enlarge)

I have no need for this A/C resistor...it's yours for shipping. (I think it's still sitting out on my workbench.)