brake lights

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:21 PM

brake lights

hello everyone, new here, i have a problem with my brake lights they dont work. i have a 82 cutlass with no brakes last week my brake light came on, i have a brake line that leaks a bit and the light came on, iput more fluid in and the light went off, i had break lights after. ok, now i have no brake lights i have tail and turn and hazard lights no brakes lights. I bought all new bulbs still nothing,checked the wiring didnt see anything,check the switch above the peddle and took a wire and crossed the white and orange wires to see if the lights would come on nothing checked the fuse and even put a new one in nothing. i took my test light and removed the fuse and checked it like that and still nothing, now what? please help
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:41 AM

check to see if you have hazard flashers as they are on the same circuit,if not re check all fuses.Also look at where the white wire plugs into T/S harness on column they are bad about burning
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:09 PM

i checked the fuse again ido have juice there and i checked the orange wire and it is hot,now when i use a jumper wire to see if the lights come on with the orange and white wires there is no lights checking the colomn now
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:28 PM

ichecked the column and there is no sign of anything out of the ordinary. where does the other white wire run too?
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:24 AM

The white wire comes from brake light switch power to t/s your orange wire at brake switch should have 12v constant
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:11 AM

since my hazards are the same circit my hazards act a little funny they start out half strong then taper out and you can barely see them in the back and the flash kinda fast it seems like the there is something not conected from the peddle back
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:05 AM

i just got back from the gm dealership to have them look to see whats wrong and they couldnt figure out anything but it might be the turn signal switch. on the t/s connection where the white wire is to be and there is no wire in the harness going up the column, they said if i would replace that harness that i would have brake llights then, BUTT, i replaced the harness last fall becouse on the left turn signal release spring was broke and i tightend up the four screws on the tilt to BUTT i had brakes after that and found out that my flasher relay and turn signal relay where switched around. Now my flashers work strong like they should. Now what to do if i had brake lights before and not now,what to do,what to do
Old May 26th, 2007, 07:26 PM

ok, i went to my local parts store and looked at a turn signal swtch and it showed the wire on the t/s clip mine on the car didnt show one. so i went home and tore into my steering colomn and looked down the colomn and there was the white wire hung up where the wires go down the colomn. I changed out the switch last fall when i tightened my tilt wheel and i had brake lights then why did they work and not now? so i fished the wire threw the colomn and back into the clip and hooked it all up and I have brake lights now. Go figure how that happen. Thanks ozoneblue for the help