deleting my ac what to do with the wiring?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:12 AM

deleting my ac what to do with the wiring?

im deleting the ac on my 71 cutlass s just wondering if there is anything i have to do to the wiring i was just gonna wrap it up and hide it away leaving it for later if i change my mind. wasnt sure if this would affect anything else having it all unhooked?
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:56 PM

what this no help out there?
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:22 PM

I removed the AC on my 91 Caprice and simply rolled the whole wiring mess up, zip tied it neatly, and tucked it into the fender well, out of sight. This way you can hook it up again if you change your mind. In my case, the AC was just too costly to fix and I just had to settle for "455" air.. [4 windows down at 55 MPH..] **LOL** You might want to see if you have any internal AC/heater ducting that runs off of vacuum hose, but you are likely safe on your Cutlass. Are you also removing the condenser and all the other under hood bits? The condenser is essentially a air flow blocker on a disabled system. I removed mine and the engine temp dropped noticeably. Good luck on your project. Cheers, Mike
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:51 PM

thanks i removed all the ac components and put a delete plate on it looks good i was just worried about the wires being disconnected and burning something up i have too much love and time in this car too have a fire! sure is alot of room in there now!
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:03 AM

Ah, a delete plate too, eh? Nice! Removing the "suitcase" really gives room! I was amazed at the amount of room removing all that crap from my Caprice did for me too. It gave me some serious real estate under the hood. I was planning to go 454, eventually, but it fizzled. The 350 looked like a V-6 after the clean up. **LOL** Cheers, Mike
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:38 AM
Past Administrator

If the connectors are in good shape you should not have any trouble. If there are any exposed wires or contacts that is what you should be concerned with as those might short to ground IF there was a voltage on them. A good precaution would be to tape up the connectors with 3M electrician tape to prevent that from happening. I believe you will find that you now have no high speed on the blower fan. I think on some models the high speed relay was built into the compressor. I looked for another thread that mentioned and verified it but could not find it. Will still look.
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:21 AM

I got em all taped up and tucked away im gonna try putting power to the motor this weekend should be nice to start her from the inside of the car this time!! Thanks guys