Gauges, gauges who's got the best gauges

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2009, 08:29 AM

Gauges, gauges who's got the best gauges

Ok, so I am researching gauge packages for my 48 Olds. Kind of like the antique gold look. 6-gauge setup 3-1/8" face for the speedo and tach and the smaller 2-1/16" for the oil, temp, gas, fuel

So far have looked at VDO, Autometer, and Classic Instruments in both the electronic and mechanical. Almost too much information.

Please share you opinions and experiences with me on quality and on the electronic verses the mechanical

Thanks in advance for the input.

Pat
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

For that car, i would try and put together Stewart Warner gauges. That is just because they are about as vintage as you can get. When I was you back in the 60's, I could not afford them. I have a trio (oil, vacuum and water temp) for my 72 Cutlass. The electronic may be a littlle better and easier to install in some cases than the mechanical but I see nothing wrong with the mechanical. Just my opinion and I know whatever you do is going to be top notch.
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:58 AM

Stewart Warner has been around forever.

Auto Meter would be right with SW for quality of product.

I've used both and have no problems with either

The mechanicals are more difficult to install, especially the water temp because of the larger hole in the firewall required. But the mechanicals are simple in operation.

Stay away from ammeters, go with a volt meter. It's much easier to install and much less dangerous to the electrical system
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by blk71sx
stay away from ammeters, go with a volt meter. It's much easier to install and much less dangerous to the electrical system
yes yes yes, listen to the man!!
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:52 AM

The ammeter is not something I would use in any case. My question is more to the quality of the gauges by brand. I have done a lot of research and Classic Instruments seems to come out on top. I was looking for input who might be or have installed these manufactures. I currently use autometer gauges in my 57 so I am familiar with them.
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Past Administrator

OH sorry Pat, I realize you wouldn't and my response sounded like I was harping to you. Just thinking about this thread being read in a year or two and wanted everyone to know how much safer a voltmeter is.