I guess

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM

Smile I guess

Well I have put 3 fuses in for the lighter and have blown all 3 I guess it's my late PaPa's way of saying it's time to quit smoking
Old August 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM

i have lighter circuits blow fuses more than any other. most of the time i find that the lighter socket is bad or corroded that causes it. sometime it is the wire going into the back of it. i also seen the dome light on the same circuit and the light burned up the wires at the dome light and caused it. not sure if your car has the two circuits together.
Old August 21st, 2009, 01:58 PM

Got any kids? I have seen a lot of pennies and gum wrappers in the lighter sockets.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:09 AM

I kinda like your take on why the fuses are blowing and agree with you,quitting and enjoying old blue would be more fun.
Steve
Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:22 AM
Oldsdruid

And the good people at ClassicOldsmobile.com say you should start trying to find out why the fuses blow, so you won't inadvertently toast that beautiful Ninety Eight before your boy has a chance to own his high school parking lot with it . Plus there's something about being able to say EVERYTHING still works on your 43 year old car...

There's a lot feeding off that circuit in a Ninety Eight and any one of them can make this happen. That circuit is also hot at all times meaning that if the fuse doesn't blow, then you have toast. Not good.

Clock, front and rear lighters, the 4 courtesy lamps, and the map light. If you don't mind a little disassembly, you can isolate which component is causing it by disconnecting the ORANGE wire to each, taping it for the test, and seeing which one does not cause the fuse to blow.

My money is on one of the rear seat cigarette lighters. That's where I'd start as they're simple to remove from the armrests- just lift the whole ashtray assembly out and access the wire from the back side. I guess you can still get replacement lighter wells, every parts store used to have them. If not, no biggie to run with them unplugged.

You have that Chassis Service Manual coming, right?

Last edited by rocketraider; August 22nd, 2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:49 AM

Smile yep

ordered it in cd hubby is a puter geek
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:33 AM

If the contacts inide a cigar lighter socket get bent just right, simply putting the lighter in its socket can short it make the fuse blow.

This can easily happen by not plugging things in straight; I had this issue before (and I was also the cause) ...

BTW, great avitar choice!
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:49 AM

Thanks

As always thanks for you help the pic is of Jodi and her Grandma Happy her and papa were married over 60 yrs and owned so many cars soon I'am going scan them and post them in our album
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Oldsdruid

How 'bout let us know how good quality the wiring and transmission circuit diagrams are in that CD CSM. I've heard the scan quality on those is not good and that's why I always recommend an original paper copy.

The wiring diagrams in the CSM are full color, with each wire the color it is in the car and also shows the correct wire gage. Olds is one of the few carmakers who went to that extra printing expense and trouble. Chevy and Pontiac diagrams are one-line black and white and can get really difficult to read.