Hopefully not a serious goof up....

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Hopefully not a serious goof up....

I'm in the middle of restoring the distributor for my 394 and putting in the electronic ignition.

What happened was - I replaced the old, brittle distributor to coil wiring in the dist. The short wire inside is secured on one end around a screw that holds the vac. advance in place. The other end was mashed into a connection that is fixed onto the plate in there that the advance moves.

Here's the problem - that connection that the end of the wire fits into came off the plate. It wasn't screwed down, or soldered on. It looks like a hot electrode was used almost like a spot weld to hold it on.

Has anyone else had that pop off? What did you do to get it back on???!?!
It's the little things that *@!&#*#$ !!!
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Past Administrator

I think if you install an aftermarket electronic ignition it doesn't matter anyway because the points and condenser will be replaced.
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:34 PM

Well, I was trying to figure out how to add a picture to the gallery but didn't find a gallery option. Anyway, this wire that I mentioned is the short jumper wire in the distributor and connects on one end to the coil wire (which exits the dist.) and the other end is fixed into a terminal end that is somehow fixed to the vac advance plate by a heat fusion somehow. It isn't a solder joint.
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Past Administrator

You should be able to go to the very top menu bar and select "Oldsmobile Photo Gallery", then from there get to "My Photos" in a menu bar about halfway down. I still think that if you change to an aftermarket electronic ignition conversion that it should give you directions and wiring for it's installation. For the wire for the coil you can use direct 12 volts, most aftermarket kits require this and probably even include some terminals to be used. It sounds like the wire you are talking about "fused" when it touched ground. Your car wasn't running before all this was it? If it is/was then I am confused as to which wire it would be. A picture would sure help, I hope you can get one set up. Good luck in that.
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:20 PM

Well, nice. I got the pic in the gallery, but it isn't uploading properly to the big window. If you squint, you can see where I'm pointing to!
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Past Administrator

Oh, then I couldn't help you with the size of it, I am computer ILLITERATE. Checking the picture though.....

ok, checked it out and can't tell . I asked a friend and he said the picture needs more detail in it, you should take a picture with higher resolution if that is possible with the camera that you have. Hope this helps.