Convertible top switch location on a 69

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2019, 06:21 AM

Convertible top switch location on a 69

On a 69 Cutlass with bucket seats and the short center console does the convertible top switch attach to the console (where) or to the dash ( where). Pics of correct mounting would really help.

Thanks
Old April 18th, 2019, 06:37 AM
Old School Olds

Just above the radio.

Old April 18th, 2019, 06:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Figure 12AA-12 in your 1969 Chassis Service Manual. All accessory switches go above the radio.

Old April 18th, 2019, 08:31 AM

Thanks to both of you for the pics. I did look at the manual and figure 12AA 12 and thought that a CVT top switch would fall under the accessory category but just wanted to be sure
. I was a much younger man with a much better memory when I took the car apart. Also put a different dash in so no hole to remind me.

Brad
Old April 19th, 2019, 04:16 AM

I can't seem to find anything on the service manual wiring diagram for the top switch, My switch has
a purple and a gray which I believe to be the up and down and an orange. Is the orange ground ?

When installing both the top switch and the courtesy lamp at the accessory location per 12AA 12 is the correct configuration side by side with the top switch nearest the driver ? Wanted to ask before I cut the dash.
Old April 19th, 2019, 05:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bitburger
I can't seem to find anything on the service manual wiring diagram for the top switch, My switch has
a purple and a gray which I believe to be the up and down and an orange. Is the orange ground ?
The wiring diagram is in the Fisher Body Manual. Orange is power.

When installing both the top switch and the courtesy lamp at the accessory location per 12AA 12 is the correct configuration side by side with the top switch nearest the driver ?
No. The accessory switches are in a row closest to the seats. The map light is in a second row closer to the firewall.
Old April 19th, 2019, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The wiring diagram is in the Fisher Body Manual. Orange is power.

The orange is a short leg with a round eye connector so attached by a screw that's why I guessed ground. I am looking at my 69 Fisher Body service manual at Fig 16-61 but it's not showing the switch leg only the leg from front to back to the top motor. Is there another diagram I'm missing ?

Where does the orange power wire connect to ?

No. The accessory switches are in a row closest to the seats. The map light is in a second row closer to the
firewall.
So then both the courtesy lamp and the top switch are centered in the accessory mounting area above the radio and the top switch is nearest the seats.
Old April 19th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Randy C.

Maybe this picture will help a bit. My '69 4-4-2 convertible has both the power top (standard equipment) and the optional power antenna. The power top switch mounts to the left, regardless of if you have another power option switch. Randy C.
Old April 19th, 2019, 09:11 AM

Thanks Randy that pic helps a lot.

Do you know where the short orange power wire from the top switch connects to ?
Old April 19th, 2019, 09:53 AM

If your dash is out, you will see pads and dimples where the screw hole goes. If your dash is in, maybe you can reach up and over and get a feel of where those dimples are. So we rush down stairs to check on spare dash...there are four pads, one inch long about half inch wide. Big space between pads is for switch. The pad is double the thickness of the dash so the screw has something to bite into.

Last edited by Yellowstatue; April 19th, 2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Incredible detail.
Old April 19th, 2019, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
If your dash is out, you will see pads and dimples where the screw hole goes. If your dash is in, maybe you can reach up and over and get a feel of where those dimples are. So we rush down stairs to check on spare dash...there are four pads, one inch long about half inch wide. Big space between pads is for switch. The pad is double the thickness of the dash so the screw has something to bite into.
Excellent, thank you
Old April 20th, 2019, 02:34 PM

Thanks to all who responded and the switch location issue is solved.

Now the problem is power to the top motor.

During testing I have placed a 12v battery next to the top motor and operating the top with the three short wires on the top motor. I was just holding the wires to the battery terminals for testing and all went well.

I then attached the ground wire to the body as shown in the manual and nothing, scraped the paint , cleaned the ground wire, reattached nothing tried several other locations tried, using a jumper. Good power though just laying the ground wire on the negative battery terminal.

Anyone have any ideas ?
Old April 20th, 2019, 04:43 PM

There are two wires for the top. One is up and the other one is down. The motor is grounded and so we only need one wire to get some action.
Old April 20th, 2019, 07:27 PM

There are two wires for the top. One is up and the other one is down. The motor is grounded and so we only need one wire to get some action.
Not so on mine. I have a red for up a green for down and a white for ground. When grounding the white to the neg terminal on the 12v battery I can raise the top up using the red wire or down using the green wire.

If stock was only two wires, gray for up and purple for down then perhaps I have an aftermarket top motor. The Fisher body manual
figure 13-57 shows the ground wire.

How could the motor be self grounded on rubber mounts ?>

Last edited by Bitburger; April 20th, 2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old April 21st, 2019, 08:44 AM

Does the white wire have a ring terminal on it to fit under the screw in the panel above the motor? If so, then that is your ground source.

Last edited by Yellowstatue; April 21st, 2019 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Punctuation slid off screen onto floor!
Old April 21st, 2019, 09:07 AM

After you attached the white wire to the body, did you connect the battery negative to the body? Then apply positive to red or green.
Old April 21st, 2019, 09:51 AM

Does the white wire have a ring terminal on it to fit under the screw in the panel above the motor? If so, then that is your ground source.
Yes, the white does have the terminal ring on it. I attached it above the motor on the framework separating the rear seat from the trunk. Are we talking about the same panel. I have also tried several other locations via jump wire.
Old April 21st, 2019, 09:53 AM

After you attached the white wire to the body, did you connect the battery negative to the body? Then apply positive to red or green.
Do you mean a second wire for ground from the neg batt terminal to the same ground as the white wire or a different ?
Old April 21st, 2019, 10:18 AM

Problem solved. I eliminated the spare battery at the top motor. Wired in the switch using the spade next to the accessory fuse on the fuse box for power. connected the two harnesses inline from front to back and all is well.

So was my problem when I used the spare battery for testing at the top motor that while the top motor was properly grounded the spare battery was not ? and that was the need for the second ground ?
Old April 21st, 2019, 11:25 AM

Yellowstatue thanks for all your help. much appreciated.
Old April 21st, 2019, 05:28 PM

I kinda figured that you did what you did and came up with an unwanted result. Now, top down, hammer down.