opinions on my electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2019, 09:44 PM

opinions on my electrical issue

Ok so my 67 cutlass started to randomly turn on and off the cd player then burnt the red main power wire at the plug. I had the 12 volt constant just pushed into the left side of the fuse to keep the memory. Then the switch power to the yellow with black stripe I believe is for the radio fuse. Do I fix that and run a in line fused from the horn relay to the radio so if the radio had an issue it will blow it's own fuse. Then it starts doing it again so I run a new ground to a different spot on the dash that fixed it for a week. Now it's doing it again so I unplugged the radio completely. Then it start to make all the lights and gauges flash and the car losing spark and almost dying cuz of the power loss. Do u think I have a bad ground? A wire touching somewhere or a short? This car had one ground wire running from the lower alternator bracket bolt to the battery and the fans are grounded to the post too. So I ran another wire from the front exaust bolt to a bolt under the radiator overflow tank. Could I be losing a ground? On the dash? I have no other grounds besides them. Sorry for all the text trying to be as detailed as possible if u need pics tell me what of and I will get them on here thank you.
Old April 11th, 2019, 08:20 PM

It is possible you do have a bad ground. You need to make sure you have a good ground from the engine block/head to the firewall. The factory ground strap is on the passenger side head to firewall. The body of the car is rubber mounted and therefore partially isolated from the engine so the engine needs to be grounded directly to the body. If the ground plane is insufficient at any point of the vehicle the electricity will find very inconvenient ways to get back to the battery, burning wires and blowing fuses along the way.

You have your engine grounded to the body of the car near the radiator support/front fender and your CD player is grounded through the antenna which is attached to the front fender so that is a very possible alternate path for electricity to flow the wrong way through a car.