Cigarette lighter repair

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2019, 12:54 PM

Cigarette lighter repair

Anyone having trouble with the original cigarette lighter then here is a fix. A couple years ago I found that most every original socket I found has had the led stud melt off the back and could no longer plug the wire into it. That or it would be to loose and would soon melt if you used it. Well, I give up finding a good original so this is how you can fix it. I used a real small butane torch to melt the rest of the led out of the tip. Then a 10 gauge wire fits loose inside where the led was. I folded over some of the strands of wire to double them up till it fit tight and then soldered it in. The largest electrical terminal that I could get that fits the original wire harness is a blue one that is to small for the 10 gauge wire. I soldered the full length of the wire so I could use a grinding wheel and grind down the wire till it fit the terminal. I lightly crimped the terminal to the wire and then soldered it also. Then just use a small piece of heat shrink on it. It sticks out the back just a little more than the original stud would have but at least it works now.

I could not ever find one that fits the car correct and not have to cut the original wire harness so this was all I had left to try. It ended up working perfect.

Old February 9th, 2019, 02:31 PM

Nice job. My 64 F-85 Resto-Mod build is not original by any stretch, but had the same issue. What I did is enlarged the hole in the dash just a bit and wired in a USB charging port.