Any aftermarket car stereo expert?

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2019, 05:19 PM

Any aftermarket car stereo expert?

Im installing a FM modulated aux input into my daughters 05 Grand Prix. The installation is pretty straightforward (so I thought!) needs a power/ground, antenna connection, and mount the power switch and 3.5mm jack. Ha!

i found the typical constant power (orange wire) found the ground, and I THOUGHT I had found the ignition power wire (yellow). However, the yellow wire only has power when it’s plugged into the radio. The wire has power whenever the key in on or in the accessory position, it has power when the retained accessory power (R.A.P.) is functional, but only with the radio plugged in.

The simplest/easiest way to wire this seems to be at the radio. However, since the yellow wire has power only with the radio plugged in, I’m wondering if it would be smart to find a key on power fuse at the fuse box. How does this radio turn on/off with the key, without a switched power source?!
Old February 2nd, 2019, 05:26 PM

I noticed during my research there is a bus communication wire going to the radio. Is power supplied to the radio at all times on the orange wire, and the radio knows the key is on thru the the communication line? If so, how do people install aftermarket radios in these cars? I had originally planned to install a aftermarket radio, but after some reading, the gear indicator in the info center won’t work, along with some of the warning systems with a aftermarket radio. After seeing the communication wire, that kinda makes sense. I’m guessing the sound for the warnings are provided by the stereo and speakers? Seeing how all new cars/trucks are required to have backup cameras, and the climate control,radio, and countless other features are controlled thru the touch screen, I’m beginning to wonder how much longer aftermarket stereos will be around? I’m guessing the market is getting smaller all the time.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 07:17 AM

You might want to find one of these kids that installed those speakers you can hear a half block away. Or a shop that installs sound equipment. They may just have the answers.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 07:41 AM
Hookers under Hood

This site may help Matt.

https://www.caraudio.com/

Eric

Last edited by 76olds; February 3rd, 2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old February 4th, 2019, 05:21 AM

Matt, you just need the right kit to install an aftermarket radio in your car. Often, adapters are made for modern cars that allow you to plug your radio into the factory harness. No splicing needed!

Here's another website to check out:

https://www.crutchfield.com/
Old February 4th, 2019, 12:33 PM

I decided to run the wiring over to the fuse box on the passenger side. I didn’t want to put a aftermarket stereo in, then by the mounting bracket, harness, interface module, and all the other crap. It’s in and working now. Thanks