84 delta 88 will not turn off

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2019, 09:03 PM

84 delta 88 will not turn off

Maybe this is a dumb question, the electrical in these cars is insane. Long story short dropped a new 307 engine in my 84 delta 88. At
first it wouldn't stay on (it would turn over but ince u let the key go it would die). A shot in the dark, i found 3 loose wires, grounded them, and now it wont stay off. I ungrounded them to expierment but i really dont know where to start. Suggestions?There are 2 black and white wires, and one orange wire. Maybe if a kill switch was installed it would turn off?
Old January 20th, 2019, 07:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Arsingleton37
Maybe this is a dumb question, the electrical in these cars is insane. Long story short dropped a new 307 engine in my 84 delta 88. At
first it wouldn't stay on (it would turn over but ince u let the key go it would die). A shot in the dark, i found 3 loose wires, grounded them, and now it wont stay off. I ungrounded them to expierment but i really dont know where to start. Suggestions?There are 2 black and white wires, and one orange wire. Maybe if a kill switch was installed it would turn off?
The car didn't need a kill switch before you swapped the motor, so rather than band-aids, why not figure out what you didn't connect correctly? Hint, get a factory 1984 electrical troubleshooting manual for the wiring diagrams.

I'm sorry, and I'm sure you consider that to be an unhelpful smartass answer, but you've given us nearly no info, we have no idea exactly what wires you are talking about, we have no idea what else may or may not be incorrectly connected, and the mind reading really isn't working. And when you say "won't stay off", what exactly does that mean? are you saying that the starter motor keeps turning after you let go of the key, or that you can't shut the motor off once it's running. It's hard to provide a useful answer without complete information.

Old January 20th, 2019, 09:54 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The car didn't need a kill switch before you swapped the motor, so rather than band-aids, why not figure out what you didn't connect correctly? Hint, get a factory 1984 electrical troubleshooting manual for the wiring diagrams.

Just happen to have this Electrical Manual available for sale... $25 Plus S/H based on location...
Other then that don't have much too offer based on your information... Good luck with your repair...
Old January 20th, 2019, 10:09 AM

Sorry for such a vauge question. Honestly, im working on my car with my uncle i am just the machanics assistant. But when i say it wont turn off i mean the engine is just running and idleing like normal with the key completely out of the ignition. These 3 wires are on the passanger side, closer to the windshiled then the front of the car. I actully just bought that book and got it friday so we are going to look through it. I'm new to this site and i was hoping to see if anyone else had an issue like this to see where to start. Power relay, distributor, alternator, something with the ECM, ignition. So many options to start with. But thank you.
Old January 20th, 2019, 10:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

There is a pink wire that runs to the BATT terminal on the HEI distributor cap. This should switch on and off with the key, which is what turns the car off. You've either got a bad ignition switch or you have somehow shorted unswitched power to this pink wire. If you disconnect that wire from the HEI with the engine running, it will stop.
Old January 20th, 2019, 10:34 AM

There is a pink wire that runs to the BATT terminal on the HEI distributor cap. This should switch on and off with the key, which is what turns the car off. You've either got a bad ignition switch or you have somehow shorted unswitched power to this pink wire. If you disconnect that wire from the HEI with the engine running, it will stop.
This is extremely helpful. Thank you. I know for a fact this wire is not hooked up.
Old January 20th, 2019, 10:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Arsingleton37
This is extremely helpful. Thank you. I know for a fact this wire is not hooked up.
Well, without a power wire connected to the BATT terminal on the cap, there won't be any spark and the engine won't run. If it runs without a wire there, you've got a bigger problem.
Old January 20th, 2019, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Well, without a power wire connected to the BATT terminal on the cap, there won't be any spark and the engine won't run. If it runs without a wire there, you've got a bigger problem.
Immaculate ignition...
Old January 21st, 2019, 03:58 PM

There should be a three wire connector from the base of the distributor to the dist cap. Then two wires from the car to the distributor cap. The two wires are 1) power to the coil and 2) tachometer signal out ... regardless of what color wire someone elected to use (the factory uses pink as Joe menioned). Also as Joe mentioned - there HAS TO BE power to the BATT terminal on the HEI for it to make spark, this is what powers the coil. Also, Joe is correct in that this terminal has to have power to it with the key off for the car to keep running once started. If you'll just reply with details and respect, Joe has a wealth of knowledge to share.