Let there be light...

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2019, 08:04 AM

Let there be light...

Got my trunk light installed today...took about 10 minutes and I was good to go😀

Thanks to all those for the help.
Dave

Old January 16th, 2019, 05:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

10 minutes?? Did someone stop by for beer or something? BTW it's not installed correctly. The 2 spring clips go around the trunk lid brace. Don't use the setup for the convertible.

Old January 16th, 2019, 06:17 PM

Lol Allan....maybe it was me who had the beer😀
In regards to the installation, I didn't use the piece for the convert setup. If you look closely at my pics, you'll see that there was a bracket attached to the brace, so I just clipped it to that. I figured that's what it was for. Am I wrong?
Old January 17th, 2019, 05:32 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Your car is a Supreme, mine is a Sports Coupe. I see there's a difference in the brace that holds the torsion rods. As long as you found a way to make it work it's all good.
Old January 17th, 2019, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Your car is a Supreme, mine is a Sports Coupe. I see there's a difference in the brace that holds the torsion rods. As long as you found a way to make it work it's all good.
Good, cuz I've been waiting to cross it off my list😀
Thanks Allan.
Old January 17th, 2019, 06:53 AM
Running On Empty

I believe what Allan is referring to is you don't need the trunk light mounting bracket installed on your trunk lid brace; but, instead leave the trunk light mounting bracket off (or remove it) from the trunk lid brace and attach the trunk light directly to the trunk hinge.
What I find interesting is this. I own a convertible, and when I purchased the vehicle the light didn't work (ground short) and when it came time to attach the light (which was broken, also) I did install it into the attached light bracket which was already mounted to the trunk hinge. If you examine Allan's attachment, you'll notice Allan's torsion bar bracket is attached to the right of the trunk hinge. Allan is not using the trunk light attachment bracket - supposedly because there is not enough room to attach the trunk light bracket because his torsion bar bracket might be hindering the installation - not 100% certain. Again, I own a convertible - my torsion bar bracket is attached to the left of the trunk hinge (which is supposedly the correct attachment point for a convertible[?]). What's peculiar, is I do not see your torsion bar bracket attached to the right side of the trunk hinge but instead your torsion bar bracket is attached to the left side of the trunk hinge - I think! It's tough to tell from your picture but it appears there is no torsion bar bracket on the right side of the trunk hinge. Honestly, I don't see a torsion bar bracket at all in your picture. Here are some pictures of my trunk light, the bracket and the torsion bar bracket. You might have a look at your setup and see where your torsion bar bracket is mounted. There could be the chance when your trunk was assembled by a PO, the torsion bar(s) and bracket were mounted on the left-hand side (which is the convertible attachment location - I don't know for a fact) instead of the right-hand side. IOW, supposedly the torsion bar brackets are installed to the outward sides (both sides) of the trunk hinges on convertibles and the inward sides (both sides) of the trunk hinges on hard-tops. Heck, you may have no torsion bars installed on your vehicle for that matter - it's possible. I'll have a look at the Assembly Manual but perhaps Allan already knows the answer to this mysteriously intriguing question which may have plagued mankind for eons causing many a restless night's sleep.

Allan's Torsion Bar Bracket

Last edited by Vintage Chief; January 17th, 2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old January 17th, 2019, 07:21 AM
Running On Empty

My vehicle is a Supreme (convertible), also. I'm curious if Dave even has torsion bars installed.
Old January 17th, 2019, 01:34 PM

Here are some better pics...

Old January 17th, 2019, 03:03 PM
Running On Empty

Hi Dave- So, you do have torsion bars - which you should. Again, I believe what Allan was suggesting is you don't need the light bracket and you could mount your light switch directly to your trunk hinge as in the case of Allan's installation. For that matter, I'm going to re-examine my own light bracket installation because there may be the chance I don't need the light bracket and I could possibly mount the light directly to the trunk hinge, as well. I'll check it out.
Old January 17th, 2019, 03:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No, I think Dave has it right given that the factory provided a tab mount on the CS whereas it's not there on the Sports coupe. Soldier on Dave.
Old January 17th, 2019, 03:43 PM
Running On Empty

Not certain it's a 'tab mount', it's actually a 'bracket'. The exact same bracket as mine.
Old January 17th, 2019, 03:47 PM
Running On Empty

BTW it's not installed correctly. The 2 spring clips go around the trunk lid brace. Don't use the setup for the convertible.
Obviously, this would imply Allan's statement is 'incorrect' - Dave. He's learning.

Old January 17th, 2019, 03:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Interesting. I see what you're saying. BUT, here's another observation. My deck lid hinges seem to have different clearances on top than the ones for both the CS models. I don't think you could mount the lamp to the side of the bracket and get the lamp S hook to work properly. Check the top clearance between the hinge and top plate of the rear deck.
Old January 17th, 2019, 03:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Obviously, this would imply Allan's statement is 'incorrect' - Dave. He's learning.
Well I knew there was an adjustment for the vert, but yes I'm learning there were other significant differences between the CS and Sports Coupe all the time. This one is very subtle but unique. I'm open to learning and just hope that I don't give any bad information.
Old January 17th, 2019, 03:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You'll notice on my deck hinge and torsion bracket there are no holes for the 'bracket'. But there is a stamped boss that I used as the alignment for the lamp to sit on when clipped to the bracket. The location of the torsion bars doesn't allow for that.

Old January 17th, 2019, 04:00 PM
Running On Empty

Well I knew there was an adjustment for the vert, but yes I'm learning there were other significant differences between the CS and Sports Coupe all the time. This one is very subtle but unique. I'm open to learning and just hope that I don't give any bad information.
You realize I'm purely busting your kahonies. My vehicle will never see a Classic Car Club of America Judge. But it will run pretty darn good.
Old January 17th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes, I know. All good. BTW have you ever tried to install torsion bars? They are a nightmare. Don't ask.
Old January 17th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Running On Empty

You'll notice on my deck hinge and torsion bracket there are no holes for the 'bracket'. But there is a stamped boss that I used as the alignment for the lamp to sit on when clipped to the bracket. The location of the torsion bars doesn't allow for that.
Agree, I noticed the stamped boss from a previous post you made before Dave created another (this) thread.

Old January 17th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Running On Empty

Indeed, I have installed torsion bars (not on this vehicle). You either buy the special tool, or you make your own. I made my own - not difficult - some maneuvering involved. Be sure the iron rod you make the torsion bar tool from is nice and LONG for good leverage.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; January 17th, 2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old January 17th, 2019, 04:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Indeed, I have installed torsion bars (not on this vehicle). You either buy the special tool, or you make your own. I made my own - not difficult - some maneuvering involved. Be sure the iron rod you make the torsion bar tool from is nice and LONG for good leverage.
Nailed it
Old January 18th, 2019, 12:03 PM

FYI, my 1970 Cutlass Supreme hardtop (4257) had the same trunk light with bracket as my 1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible (4267).
Old January 18th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Fun71
FYI, my 1970 Cutlass Supreme hardtop (4257) had the same trunk light with bracket as my 1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible (4267).
Got a picture Kenneth? Love to see how yours is mounted and how the S hook is set up.
Old January 19th, 2019, 07:50 PM

No pics of the 70 as it died from rust disease in the 90s, way before digital cameras and abundant no-cost pictures. The 71 vert looks just like the OPs pics.