Strange Electrical Situation Head Lamp - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > Repair & Restoration > Electrical
Strange Electrical Situation Head Lamp >

Strange Electrical Situation Head Lamp

Old December 31st, 2018, 05:23 PM

Hi,
I have a strange situation. When I turn on lights sometimes the Drivers side head light doesn’t come on until I press the high beam foot switch.I have to click high beam on and off quickly and some times it comes on and some times it doesn’t come on at all. Passenger side always comes on.

Any idea of what to check? Is it the socket on the head lamp loose?
1968 Olds 442
Thanks in advance.

Guy
Old December 31st, 2018, 07:05 PM

The fact that the passenger side always works tells me the wiring is good. When you turn on the headlights, power leaves the headlight switch on a light blue wire going to the dimmer, it then leaves the dimmer switch on either a light green wire (high beam) or a tan wire (low beam) both wires go to the drivers side headlights first. Then both bulbs have wires that lead over to the passenger side. Both bullbs on both sides have their own grounds, leading to a common screw under each pair of bulbs.

i bet your going to find either a corroded terminal in the headligh bulb socket, or corroded electrical tabs on the bulbs themselves. Check the ground wires and screws. You can get replacement sockets in the Help or Dorman section of a parts store. Use a wire brush to clean the terminals of the bulbs. Once everything is clean, pack the terminals with dielectric grease to keep them from corroding in the future.
Old December 31st, 2018, 07:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matt69olds View Post
i bet your going to find either a corroded terminal in the headligh bulb socket, or corroded electrical tabs on the bulbs themselves. Check the ground wires and screws. You can get replacement sockets in the Help or Dorman section of a parts store. Use a wire brush to clean the terminals of the bulbs. Once everything is clean, pack the terminals with dielectric grease to keep them from corroding in the future.
^^^This. Matt nailed it.
Old December 31st, 2018, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds View Post
The fact that the passenger side always works tells me the wiring is good. When you turn on the headlights, power leaves the headlight switch on a light blue wire going to the dimmer, it then leaves the dimmer switch on either a light green wire (high beam) or a tan wire (low beam) both wires go to the drivers side headlights first. Then both bulbs have wires that lead over to the passenger side. Both bullbs on both sides have their own grounds, leading to a common screw under each pair of bulbs.

Thank you Matt. I really appreciate your answer.
Guy