Stereo install in 69 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2018, 07:50 AM

Stereo install in 69 Cutlass

I need to find a new map light - like many I’ve seen, mine is toast!

Thanks for all the great info on ways to get decent sound, of which there seem to be many. Just thought I’d share what I ended up doing, as I’m happy with the end result.

First, I did the top of the line Custom Autosound in Dash. It is ok, not great, looks good but a little hard to use and not very well-powered without an amp. Has Bluetooth, phone, etc. If I had it to do over, and especially if I had the original head unit, I’d leave the original as a dummy and do one of these new amplifiers with built-in Bluetooth that then let you run everything off your phone. I saw a nice one by Infiniti. I think they have developed this for boats and seems like the perfect classic car option.

On speakers I did the Custom Autosounds kick panels. Speakers that came in them sounded awful, ended up going back in and putting a 6.5” set of Focal component speakers in there. Made a huge difference. Dyna matted as much as I could. Cut a hole for the tweeter comonent. Had to build a new bracket to move my parking brake release over to accommodate the kick panel.

replaced center dash speaker with the custom autosounds replacement, but it sounded so bad that I ended up just unhooking it once I put in the Focals.

Did speakers in the rear armrests based on some of your experiences and advice. 5.5 inch Focal coaxial. Sounds great, it seems like you can’t really get decent sound without something in the back. I always hate to cut panels, but mine weren’t original anyway and you can get reproductions if you had to undo it.

Those four driven by an amp under under front passenger seat.

Did a powered Rockeford Fosgate box in the trunk, 12” single sub. Sounds good. Tried to fit the pioneer under seat compact sub and measured for others, but the seat rails are just too narrow for them to fit (problem seems to be horizontal space as opposed to vertical room, which surprised me).

So a couple grand later I’ve got pretty good sound. On a car I had hoped not to invest much in the stereo department (my first plan was to just roll with a big Bluetooth boom box, but it got stolen the first time I parked the car with it).

pics attached and thanks again for all the wisdom on here!

Last edited by Rosie39j; December 24th, 2018 at 07:56 AM.