Car won't run right at cruise or on a hill

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2018, 07:58 AM

Car won't run right at cruise or on a hill

Ughhhh!!!!
My issue is back. Although this time it seems more consistent. Any time I try to go up hill or cruise, it seems to start cutting out. I checked the ground wire in the distributor and it looks fine. I replaced the fuel filter but weather was crappy here in upstate NY so I haven't had a chance to see it that helped. Should I just put an HEI in? If I did an HEI, will the the stock air cleaner clear it?
I really just need this car to be dependable, it is such a bummer driving with no confidence.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim
Old December 3rd, 2018, 08:26 AM
Administrator

I moved your post to its own thread because your issue was different. You need to do some trouble shooting prior to replacing parts. What does the engine actually do when going up a hill or during cruise. Does it buck like its temporarily losing power, does it just slowly start to die as it feels like its running out of gas, or ?
Old December 3rd, 2018, 09:38 AM

Eric,
" Does it buck like its temporarily losing power, does it just slowly start to die as it feels like its running out of gas "
Kind of a mixture of both. Seems to be only when under load. I can't make it happen in the garage. Now, I haven't used the car a ton over the summer could it be the crappy gas we get today and it sitting? I haven't tried an additive or cleaner yet. The carb was also rebuilt when I was trouble shooting the problem last time. Carb seems to work fine.

Thanks,
Jim
Old December 3rd, 2018, 10:17 AM
Administrator

In the thread below you first said it was the carb and it ran well with the C10 carb swap. Then you rebuilt yours, and then added a Pertronix. While installing the Pertronix you found the broken chassis ground strap and repaired it. Things apparently were going ok for a year or so since. I doubt it would be an old gas issue.

It could be a float issue or other fuel issue, it could be an electrical issue from when you installed the Pertronix, or your ground strap repair. Check those first. Did you change the coil when you installed the Pertronix?

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...real-help.html
Old December 3rd, 2018, 10:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

For reference, here is the prior thread that described the OP's problems and work so far.

Apparently you've already replaced the points with Pertronix and a new coil. That didn't fix the problem. Why do you think spending more money on yet another new ignition system will fix it?
Old December 3rd, 2018, 10:42 AM

Yes, I got the Petronix igniter 2 with coil. The first thing I did was check the ground strap and it is in tact. I can do a continuity test on it. My thought on the gas is if it sat for a while, would the gas clog a passageway like it does on my snow blower. But then again, it sat in the shop while the repair was being done on the body for about a year and it started and ran fine up until recently.

Jim
Old December 3rd, 2018, 10:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

An ignition problem would more likely show up as a misfire under load, not cruise. What do the plugs look like? Are they white (lean condition) or black (rich condition) or grey (normal)? A misfire during part throttle cruise is more likely to be a lean condition - possibly something plugged in the carb or a crack in one of the fuel hoses that lets air in. Did you ever manage to connect a fuel pressure gauge? Have you verified the float level while running using a gauge stick in the vent tube?

Old December 3rd, 2018, 10:50 AM

Fuel lean/starvation symptoms are usually a gentler fluctuation. If it feels more abrupt like a tap tap it's ignition usually solved with plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

Good luck!!!
Old December 3rd, 2018, 10:53 AM

Joe,
I guess because I thought I had fixed the issue when I found the broken ground strap when I installed the Petronix. I have taken the car on a couple of long trips this spring and summer and had now issues until recently. The Petronix installation wasn't an effort to fix the problem, I installed it because I've had good luck with them before.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 11:15 AM

Joe,

Where do you get that float level stick? That would be cool to have. I have not checked fuel pressure but I did put a new pump on as well as new plugs and wires about a year ago.

Jim
Old December 3rd, 2018, 11:16 AM

I can pull a plug tonight after running it and take a look.

Jim
Old December 3rd, 2018, 07:40 PM

A number of questions come up when I think about this:
Does it do it under hard acceleration?
Date of last tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor), have you inspected these items?
Is it the original gas tank, has it been cleaned?
How old is the fuel pump and what is the fuel pressure?

Only 3 things needed to make an engine run - air, fuel and spark.
Old December 4th, 2018, 04:53 PM

Well, I did a continuity test on the distributor plate and it rings out fine. So it doesn't seem to be that issue.
I also finally got to take it out after changing the fuel filter and it drove fine. I went on the same route I took last time it happened. The route has a decent hill and areas of acceleration as well as cruising speed. Drove long enough to heat the interior of the car. So, I don't know if it is was the filter (I still use the little ones that are in the carb). It wasn't that long ago that I changed it but I guess it is possible. Also, even if the filter is plugged doesn't the pump force the filter into the spring and allow fuel to flow?

Thanks,
Jim
Old December 4th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Give it the long term test, a short drive sometimes is not long enough to see if its fixed.
Old December 5th, 2018, 04:26 AM

True enough.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim