1966 Cutlass Vert rear courtesy lights.

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2018, 04:23 PM

1966 Cutlass Vert rear courtesy lights.

My 1966 Cutlass Vert rear courtesy lights are inoperative when a door is opened or the light switch is rotated. First step is how do I access those courtesy lights in the rear arm rests. I have looked in my CSM and my Fisher Body manual and find nothing that to relates to the convertible application. Need some help please and hopefully some pictures.
Thanks
Wayne
Old September 28th, 2018, 06:23 AM

Been awhile, but as I recall you'll need to remove the rear seats, or at least the bottom, and locate the screws that hold them in place. Remove and start your t shoot process... did you check bulbs first by removing lense covers?
Old September 28th, 2018, 09:07 AM

I haven't as of yet. I assume I just have to squeeze one side of the lense? I'll try that today.
Thanks
Wayne
Old September 28th, 2018, 09:43 AM

literally just did this yesterday on my convertible. i replaced the dash/panel harness last year, i finally got the courtesy lites in rear armrests and under dash to work for first time in 32 years. small flat screwdriver pops out the lenses. its a small bulb, L90,
Old September 28th, 2018, 09:51 AM

i pulled rear bench out and had to remove armrest bases to check wiring. also theres a connection under the bench where those orang/white wire connect to the "ribbon harness"that feeds the dash harness.
now my 4 courtesy lites work when a doors open, but nit when i turn the headline ****, im still working on that. but im just happy to have them switch on with a door.
Old September 28th, 2018, 09:52 AM

do the 2 under the dash work?
Old September 28th, 2018, 04:59 PM

Well I opened the lens in the armrest courtesy light. No bulb and I will pick up some #90 bulbs tomorrow. The socket looks OK. Did try to test with my meter but got no response. Looks like the socket is partially plastic. One wire I can see so for. Just in case does anyone repo the socket with wire.
Wayne
Old September 29th, 2018, 06:05 AM

So, just got back from O'Relly's AP with a package of #90 bulbs which are specified by my 66 CSM as the correct bulbs for the courtesy lights. Bulbs have two contacts on them. My rear courtesy lights have a single sprung pole in the center.
So just got out of the garage. Pulled out the light assembly. It has two wires, one white and one orange. Obvious that a two pole #90 wasn't going to work. I had some #97 single from my license plate light so I tried one and it fit correctly. No light. Put my multi meter to it and no results.
Obviously something is not hooked up correctly. I will have to wait until spring when I do the carpets and have a better view.
Any comments or ideas.
Thanks
Wayne

Last edited by 35tac; September 29th, 2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old September 29th, 2018, 02:29 PM

my 66 original courtesy light sockets definitely have two contacts in the base. the two lites in rear armrests, and the two under the sides of dash were the same. Maybe yours were replaced, or possibly one contact was broken?
Old September 29th, 2018, 07:59 PM

Mazey, you are probably right about the replacement. Won't know for sure until spring when I expect to redo my carpets and seat belts. I have to look under the dash at the courtesy lights and see what mine look like. Hopefully still original. I think Lectric limited makes the correct harness for the fronts so I can do something with the rears. Thanks for your info. I will continue to look for more information. Maybe someone has a nice used set available.
Wayne
Old October 2nd, 2018, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by mazey
do the 2 under the dash work?

The dash lights do work. You wouldn't have a picture of the main harness that goes from the front to the rear with items connected would you? I think that would help when the rear courtesy harness comes in.
Thanks
Wayne
Old October 2nd, 2018, 07:55 AM

its the flat looking ribbon, ties into harness under rug near fuse box, goes under rug and thats where the rear harness tie in, i pulled out the rear bech/backrest to find it
Old October 2nd, 2018, 07:56 AM

you should be able to see the orange/white connections there