Help needed : Dome Light wiring 1969 442

Old September 25th, 2018, 08:24 PM

Help needed : Dome Light wiring 1969 442

Hey everybody,

Before I ask my question......yes I have a copy of the wiring diagram schematics and am aware that the door jam switches ground out once the door is closed.

So my problem is that i installed a new EZ wiring harness in the 442. I have everything functioning except the dome lights.

I got the courtesy lights and the dash lights working today,but still no luck with the dome light.

There is a dome power ground hookup on the headlight switch which I connected to the 2 door jams but still no power. On the new harness fuse box there is a separate dedicated dome light wire, I have the white fuse box dome wire connected to the connector for the dome light in the trunk behind the seat.

I just need help on finding how or what the wiring is supposed to look like when hooked up with the door jams....the headlight switch dome ground and the separate white fuse box wire for for the dome light.

thank you
Old September 25th, 2018, 09:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

I have no idea how your aftermarket harness is configured, but the stock harness has two wires for the dome light. The orange wire gets power from the DOME fuse at the fuse box and is hot all the time. The white wire is ground. It grounds either when you open a door (closing the pin switch) or when you turn the headlight **** all the way counter clockwise. There is nothing else to this.

There is no "power" on the white wire, it is ground. The orange wire should be powered at all times. Did you check for power on the orange wire at the dome light?
Old September 25th, 2018, 09:42 PM

Thanks so much Joe......I know exactly what the problem is now.....there was no orange wire in the harness....so instead it is the labelled white dome wire which is hot. I just have to run a ground wire from the headlight switch to the connector in the trunk that goes to the dome light connector....which is the factory white one.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by Big Dawg; September 25th, 2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old September 26th, 2018, 04:25 AM
Administrator

You may want to recheck your schematic, you will measure 12v on the white wire if there is no ground present and power is on. It back feeds through the bulb. Check for power at the dome light with the white wire disconnected.
Old September 26th, 2018, 05:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You may want to recheck your schematic, you will measure 12v on the white wire if there is no ground present and power is on. It back feeds through the bulb. Check for power at the dome light with the white wire disconnected.
Actually, you will measure something less than 12V typically, since the resistance in the bulb would drop the voltage. Again, this only works if the orange wire is in place. If not, per the OP's last post, then you measure nothing. The point is that the white wire isn't the high side of the circuit.
Old September 26th, 2018, 04:49 PM

Hey guys

Wanted to say thanks for the help. Got the dome lights working exactly like they should. So I cut the dome light white wire from the EZ fuse panel and connected the wire to the white wires from both door jams and the white wire that runs from the floor console and connected it to the dome ground wire from the headlight switch. Than I took the black wire from the drivers door jam switch and grounded it to the chassis under the dash and voila......it worked just like it came from the factory.

ALl the wiring is done now on the new harness and now onto the FITECH efi 600 and a new Efi tank inc. Tank.

thanks again guys.