Help with source of warning buzzer

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2018, 05:51 AM

Help with source of warning buzzer

I have a 1972 Delta 88 convertible that I rescued from a barn after many years of storage. I proceeded to go through the fuel, ignition coolant etc in order to get it running. On its maiden voyage around the block, I saw that the brake light was on and a buzzer began to activate over about 15 or so mph. I assumed it was somehow tied into the brake warning light. I have now gone through the steering, suspension and brake systems to get them up to par. On its second test voyage, my brake light and all other lights are now out, but the annoying buzzer still does its buzzing when you accelerate up to speed. So I thought, maybe it is a seat belt warning thing, since I wasnt wearing one. However I find no electrical connections to the seat belt system. I honestly dont care at all about the warning buzzer, so the simple solution would be to disconnect it if it is simply malfunctioning. However if someone here could illuminate me on what its cause might be, fixing it would be preferable.
Thanks!
Roy
Old September 23rd, 2018, 06:55 AM

It could be one of two things. The key left in the ignition buzzer is located under the hood and by removing one of those wires that will kill the buzzing if that is it. I'm thinking 1972 big cars also had the seat belt warning like the cutlasses did and there may be a sensor under the passenger side seat. It's a white piece of plastic about 8 in long maybe and has a connector on it. It might help to disconnect that or you might have to find the actual buzzer behind the dash and just disconnect that. Let us know what you find out.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 07:38 AM

Oldspackrat,
There isnt anything under the seat that looks like it should be hooked up electrically. I guess it could be an ignition switch thing as I can pull the key out and put it back in with the car running. The head scratching part for me is the fact that the key buzzer works normally if you are sitting still and have the door open, and that the seeming malfunction of the buzzer does not occur until you get over 10-15 MPH. Is there some sort of switch to warn you if you are driving away with the top half up or down that could be causing it?
Thanks,
Roy
Old September 23rd, 2018, 09:03 AM

One thing I know neglected to mention some Oldsmobiles had an option called speed minder or speed alert and that was a extra little needle on your speedometer that you can move with a dial and once your speedometer needle touched the other needle it would Buzz. Do you have that option? If unsure take a picture of your speedometer and we will help you determine that. If that's the case turn that dial till the yellow needle is at 120 miles an hour and it will eliminate your buzzing unless you go that fast.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 09:16 AM

You Nailed it. I never saw that second little needle hiding there. Fixes don't get any easier than that, especially when its not actually broken.
Thanks,
Roy
Old September 23rd, 2018, 09:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

^^^ What Scot suggested. The 1972 Delta Royale could be ordered with RPO UB7 which included the Safety Sentinel. Check for another indicator (usually white or yellow) that can be moved by rotating a **** just below the odometer. Similar to this on the Cutlass models.

EDIT: I got distracted and see the problem has been resolved.

Last edited by Allan R; September 23rd, 2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
One thing I know neglected to mention some Oldsmobiles had an option called speed minder or speed alert
That was the first thing that popped into my mind. My father had that on every big car he owned in the '70s.