Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2018, 02:49 PM
scotty350

A/C relay 70 Culass

Anyone know where I could get an A/C relay for my 70 Cutlass other than Ebay
Old September 22nd, 2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by scottyo
Anyone know where I could get an A/C relay for my 70 Cutlass other than Ebay
What relay? Are you talking about the one on the passenger fender? If so, you don't need it. If you want it to look original then OK but other than that just wire around it. Even if you use it I would wire around it.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 06:03 PM
scotty350

Yes, the one on the passenger wheel well. Mechanic says it's the A/C clutch relay. Compressor won't engage.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 06:22 PM
Old School Olds

It's called a clutch hold in relay. I'll check, I may have one or you may check with Scott, oldspackrat. Seems he had a few also.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 03:10 AM

All that relay does is make the compressor stay on even if you turn off the AC. It should be wired around and in 71 Oldsmobile got rid of it because it was not needed. If you want it there to look original is the only reason to use it. If the compressor will not engage because of that relay just take the dark green wire from that relay and hook it to the wire than runs to the compressor clutch (also dark green) and you are good. This way the compressor will turn off when you turn off the switch.

Last edited by jensenracing77; September 23rd, 2018 at 03:12 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
All that relay does is make the compressor stay on even if you turn off the AC. It should be wired around and in 71 Oldsmobile got rid of it because it was not needed. If you want it there to look original is the only reason to use it. If the compressor will not engage because of that relay just take the dark green wire from that relay and hook it to the wire than runs to the compressor clutch (also dark green) and you are good. This way the compressor will turn off when you turn off the switch.
Agreed. I bypassed that relay on my 70 Supreme back in high school because it made no sense for the AC to remain engaged after turning the switch off. Having that relay resulted in lower MPG and HP, neither of which made me happy.

Old September 23rd, 2018, 03:19 PM
scotty350

Help me understand. With a functioning relay, it will not turn of the compressor clutch off when the A/C or defrost is turned off. If so, what purpose does this relay serve. Is the A/C still working when in vent mode? This makes no sense.

Another electrical question. The under hod engine compartment light. Do the lights have to be on for it to function. Mine will only work when the lights are on. It does go out when you drop the hood. I was told by a member of the Archway Olds Club that it is a has a mercury switch and should come on any time the hood is raised, without lights on.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 04:55 PM

Is the A/C still working when in vent mode? This makes no sense.
Exactly. And also the reason to wire around it.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 05:00 PM

Another electrical question. The under hod engine compartment light. Do the lights have to be on for it to function. Mine will only work when the lights are on. It does go out when you drop the hood. I was told by a member of the Archway Olds Club that it is a has a mercury switch and should come on any time the hood is raised, without lights on.
He is mostly right but yes, the lights also have to be on. The mercury switch keeps the light out when driving down the road. I suppose one could wire it to a constant power wire and then would work with the lights off but that is not how the factory did it. If you wanted to wire it this way I would add a 5 amp fuse between it and the power source.
Old September 26th, 2018, 01:22 PM

If you are looking for the compressor hold in relay------- I have exactly one (1) N.O.S. remaining ----- I responded to someone yesterday,
but that thread has disappeared...... maybe that was you ?!?!?!?!

In any event -- I have exactly one (1) N.O.S. ----- and youare welcome to call if youwant one ------
Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935 ....... West Hempstead, New York......