Aftermarket Radio w/MP3 & Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2018, 12:58 AM

Aftermarket Radio w/MP3 & Bluetooth

Crutchfield sells a radio that fits into the factor bezel but the radio comes with Bluetooth/Handsfree/MP3 abilities. Sells for $280. Anyone purchase one of these?

It would be nice to have Bluetooth/MP3 abilities so you can listen to modern music and even take cell phone calls with hands free.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068HRM...4#&gid=1&pid=1
Old September 22nd, 2018, 05:29 AM

I can't speak to the radio you have listed. While more expensive, several members here have installed radios from this company. http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/ They look almost exactly like the original, sound is amazing, as well as the bluetooth you are looking for.

New radio with original.

In my 72 Supreme
Old September 22nd, 2018, 06:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

I prefer having the original radio converted. I used Retroradio for the one in my 67 Delta. They replace all the electronics with modern systems, while keeping the stock controls. AUX input is standard, and USB and Bluetooth are optional. The did a fantastic job restoring the faceplate.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 06:09 AM

I installed one of the radios in question in my 67 convertible. I am not impressed. The good part is that with a convertible you can hardly ever hear the radio anyway. It is not a great radio.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
I installed one of the radios in question in my 67 convertible. I am not impressed. The good part is that with a convertible you can hardly ever hear the radio anyway. It is not a great radio.
Are you talking about the Crutchfield Hermosa radio or the radio for old cars radio?

Old September 23rd, 2018, 07:38 AM
72 Olds CS

That looks really nice Dave close enough to the original that most would believe it was.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 08:46 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

Some observations about aftermarket radios from direct experience -

The Antique Automobile Radio model (the one modeled cosmetically after the factory unit) in theory was a really good idea - looks right and the chassis is probably 1/3 the size (and weight) of the factory radios.. This is important, because if you install a Vintage Air a/c system under your dash, the factory radio will no longer fit (the AC box takes up too much room behind the dash for it to clear).. Problem is for $500 you only get a 1 year warranty and mine shorted the left channel a few months after the warranty expired.

result? AAR wouldn't return calls or emails seeking help

Custom Autosound also makes a line of retro-fit radios - fairly generic in appearance but they do fit well and sound ok with the right speakers - After getting nowhere with AAR I ended up biting the bullet a couple of months back on a CAS purchase (their USA 740 - found a sale price approx. $270) - again, small chassis (bigger than the AAR but still compact enough to fit ahead of my Vintage Air box)

Right out of the box, sounded great, albeit with the engine off.. With engine on, the radio volume immediately started alternating high/low as if power was spiking up/down (i.e. like it was in a protection mode to prevent overcharging). The volume level setting itself wasn't changing, just the radio's electrical power seemed to be spiking up/down.

Called CAS, they said it was likely an engine ignition interference issue (EMI) coming in off my HEI and that I should re-route all my wiring in a manner where it's spaced apart and not touching each other, also that I should wrap the wires in EMI shielding... Right - who does that for a non-amped radio and 2 speakers... I moved wires around, added noise filters fore and aft of the firewall, even clipped ferrite magnets onto the wires in various locations and wrapped all connection points in copper audio tape... No change.

Result? The CAS radio continues to spike no matter how I run the wires - CAS at least has a 2 yr warranty.. They offered to check the radio out if I send it back (on my dime) but admitted they don't have equipment to duplicate engine ignition interference so they likely wouldn't be able to duplicate my problem, nor would they freely replace the radio in absence of that.

Maybe just my bad luck but I have 20+ years experience installing relatively simple aftermarket stereo systems in older cars and never had these issues in the past

Last edited by 70sgeek; September 23rd, 2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 09:11 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

For those looking for the best price on the AAR radio this is probably it - $515 shipped

http://www.corvettepartsworldwide.co...ch=184-851201B+
Old September 24th, 2018, 08:03 PM

What about the RetroSound Hermosa?
Old September 25th, 2018, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by 70sgeek
Maybe just my bad luck but I have 20+ years experience installing relatively simple aftermarket stereo systems in older cars and never had these issues in the past
This is why I decided against the Custom Auto Sound type radios. I've read too many bad reviews to justify taking a chance.

I used a modern single DIN radio and kept the original radio in the dash. Check out the links:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...y-71-98-a.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-fm-radio.html