Never wired a dash before

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2018, 01:17 PM

Never wired a dash before

I got a dash from the salvage yard. I had to cut the wires from the dash lights and gauges to put in my 85 delta. If i use the same gauge wires, it should work, correct? This might sound like a dumb question so i apologize in advance. The only thing i have experience in wiring, are guitars.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old September 9th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Yes it will work, you should have grabbed the harness from the car you pulled the dash out of.
Old September 9th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Solder and shrink tubing. Do NOT use butt connectors.
Old September 9th, 2018, 03:22 PM

And try to use the same color wire as much as possible. The last thing you need is trying to go back and trace a bunch of black wires after the fact.
Old September 9th, 2018, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Yes it will work, you should have grabbed the harness from the car you pulled the dash out of.
im guessing that would have made it easier to swap..
Old September 9th, 2018, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Solder and shrink tubing. Do NOT use butt connectors.
Cool, will do! thanks for the advice!
Old September 9th, 2018, 05:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by WB8588
I got a dash from the salvage yard. I had to cut the wires from the dash lights and gauges to put in my 85 delta. If i use the same gauge wires, it should work, correct? This might sound like a dumb question so i apologize in advance. The only thing i have experience in wiring, are guitars.
Now I have a question about this dash you got from the wreckers. Is it the dash pad, or the whole dash? The pad won't have a lot of clips with wires, but the dash frame will have clips and small 7 mm bolts holding them in place.

You said you cut wires to get the replacement out. I'm going out on a limb here and wondering if you have an existing dash in your Delta right now? If you do, I would strongly recommend you study how the wire connectors are routed and just install the replacement by undoing the clips and bolts that already exist and reinstall them on the replacement dash. It's going to be at least the same amount of work as what the alternative is, and the existing wires won't have been tampered with or possible faulty connections.
Old September 9th, 2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Now I have a question about this dash you got from the wreckers. Is it the dash pad, or the whole dash? The pad won't have a lot of clips with wires, but the dash frame will have clips and small 7 mm bolts holding them in place.

You said you cut wires to get the replacement out. I'm going out on a limb here and wondering if you have an existing dash in your Delta right now? If you do, I would strongly recommend you study how the wire connectors are routed and just install the replacement by undoing the clips and bolts that already exist and reinstall them on the replacement dash. It's going to be at least the same amount of work as what the alternative is, and the existing wires won't have been tampered with or possible faulty connections.
Already have a dash. The only difference between ny exiating dash and the new is that the bew has the guages by the steering column. Rallye pac is what its called i think?? Looks pretty cool. Its the volt, oil, and engine temp.
Old September 9th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok, that explains a lot. You can't just hook up the wires and expect it to work. You'll need to change out the senders for coolant and oil to the proper ones for gauges. The ones that are on the block (307 4bbl, right?) will be idiot light senders and don't work with that gauge setup. I know because I did exactly the same thing with my 1983 Ninety Eight Regency Brougham. Unfortunately I don't have the 83 CSM anymore as it went with the car when I sold it. If you have one, verify the wiring and connections to this unit as sometimes it requires modification.
Old September 10th, 2018, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ok, that explains a lot. You can't just hook up the wires and expect it to work. You'll need to change out the senders for coolant and oil to the proper ones for gauges. The ones that are on the block (307 4bbl, right?) will be idiot light senders and don't work with that gauge setup. I know because I did exactly the same thing with my 1983 Ninety Eight Regency Brougham. Unfortunately I don't have the 83 CSM anymore as it went with the car when I sold it. If you have one, verify the wiring and connections to this unit as sometimes it requires modification.
Fortunately, i do have the csm. I will check. Right now, im not getting spark from the distributor so that is taking up all my time trying to figure out.