67 cutlass dome light

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2018, 06:42 AM

67 cutlass dome light

trying to get my dome light to work, have checked all fuses and installed new bulb and door jam pins. my problem is theres a orange wire under dash that has no where for it to go into fuse box, but if i power up wire dome lights work. should that wire be taped into another or does it run off of head light switch. fuse for courtesy lights is good just need power to that wire and i know i can run power from a lot of places but looking for correct spot
Old July 12th, 2018, 06:49 AM
Administrator

That wire goes to the 20A Dome-ctsy fuse, it also powers the cigar lighter. Disconnect the battery, remove the fuse block and turn it over to see if it was cut or broke off.
Old July 12th, 2018, 10:11 AM

dome light

thanks very much, will check tonight. have one more ???. under hood by firewall and taped up wires there's another orange wire with a factory plastic end that looks like it would plug into something but really not long enough to go past distributor. non air car 4sp car no console.
Old July 12th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Administrator

That is the Jetaway switch pitch torque convertor control power wire that would go to a switch mounted on the throttle linkage. Since yours is a 4 speed, the switch is not present, so the wire is not used. In the name of simplicity harnesses contain wiring that may or may not be used depending on model and accy's.
Old July 12th, 2018, 01:58 PM

thanks again
Old July 12th, 2018, 10:17 PM

It is extremely doubtful the wire would break behind the fuse box. That part of the wiring is typically very secure and the fuse box is screwed to the firewall. Make sure the dome light fuse is good and make sure the contacts are not rusted/corroded, if so, proceed with the following. If the orange wire that makes your dome light work still has a connector on it, there should be another matching connector for it to fit into. There are multiple connectors on the orange wire under the dash of the 67 Cutlass for different accessories to be added on the different models. If your wire doesn't have a connector on it, you can add one and find a place to connect it. Make sure it cannot short to ground and you should be done.

Last edited by cjsdad; July 12th, 2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old July 13th, 2018, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Possibly, the only 2 connectors under the dash for that particular orange wire outside the courtesy lamps is the cigar lighter and the clock. Not much on that circuit.