Wiring diagram for a 84 delta 88 - ClassicOldsmobile.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 11th, 2018, 02:47 PM   #1  

Wiring diagram for a 84 delta 88

Hey all, Im in need of a diagram for an 84 delta 88. My ecm/dec fuse keeps blowing and throwing a check engine light, causing it to run rough and bog from a stop. Id like to trace this wire and find the problem. Any ideas or words of wisdom?

Last edited by Jon Woods; July 11th, 2018 at 02:55 PM.
Jon Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 03:57 PM   #2  
Old(s) Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Woods View Post
Hey all, Im in need of a diagram for an 84 delta 88. My ecm/dec fuse keeps blowing and throwing a check engine light, causing it to run rough and bog from a stop. Id like to trace this wire and find the problem. Any ideas or words of wisdom?

There isn't "a" wiring diagram, there are a hundred pages of diagrams of each individual circuit. There are currently a dozen or more of these manuals on ebay. The cheapest one I found in a 30 second search is $9.50 with free shipping.
joe_padavano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 08:03 PM   #3  

That boggles my mind as to why GM needs a hundred pages per circuit while the same year toyota with fuel injection needs 4 for the entire car. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Wait I see, it covers all oldsmobiles for that year, thats more understandable.

Last edited by Jon Woods; July 11th, 2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old July 12th, 2018, 07:15 AM   #4  
Old(s) Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Woods View Post
That boggles my mind as to why GM needs a hundred pages per circuit while the same year toyota with fuel injection needs 4 for the entire car. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Wait I see, it covers all oldsmobiles for that year, thats more understandable.

It's not 100 pages per circuit, it's about 100 pages for each car line. First, this is the Electrical TROUBLESHOOTING Manual, not just the wiring diagram. Each circuit (headlights, turn signals, power distribution, grounds, power seats, etc) gets at least one page with a dedicated wiring diagram of ONLY that circuit. This makes it a lot easier to read. THEN, there are subsequent pages for each circuit that describe how the circuit works, how to troubleshoot it, what the voltages and resistances are at each point for testing, and where the components are located in the car. It's much more than a wiring diagram. It probably also is exactly what you need to find your problem.
joe_padavano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 05:20 PM   #5  

And the GM electrical books are much better than anything offered at the time. I stopped turning wrenches for a living 20 years ago, did the other automakers catch up and improve their manual?
matt69olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 07:49 PM   #6  

Ok I understand now. That should be more helpful then just a diagram and definitely worth it. Thank you. I did not find the one for $10, but found one close enough that its on its way.

No idea matt, Ive mostly dealt with 80s yotas and have never had an issue using their FSMs. Ive found the chiltons and haynes are the only ones that lack real information.