70 Supreme - what did I do?

Old April 26th, 2018, 07:18 PM

70 Supreme - what did I do?

I took the dash apart, now I have issues. My wipers work correctly on low, they rise then park repeatedly on high, also my gas gauge is way and I mean WAY past full. Like 3:00 PM!

The wiper switch pigtail only goes on one way, so I know it is hooked up correctly. Likewise the gauge cluster for the gas gauge and idiot lights has one connector that only goes on one way.

help!
Old April 26th, 2018, 08:20 PM

The gas gauge reading way past full is the classic indication of an open circuit. In your reassembly of the dash, the gas gauge was not hooked up. Or else there's a break in the wire between the gauge and the tank somewhere else along the way. But if the gauge was working before you took the dash apart, I'd re-check your re-connection of the wiring when you put it back together.
Old April 27th, 2018, 06:58 AM

As far as the wiper situation, one of the screws tightens to a ground strap & if it's loose or not there it will cause issues. I had a '72 4 door dd with weird acting wipers a few years ago & it ended up being that loose screw/ground.
There is a ground wire leading from the front of the tank that screws into the body tub. Not real easy to get to unless the car is on a lift or high in the air. Check & clean that connection & see what happens. Otherwise recheck the work you just did to see what is loose/missing/broken. Possibly the pins on the back of the fuel gauge are loose/broken.
Old April 27th, 2018, 07:17 AM

I hope to have time this weekend to look at some of these things. I know I have had the gauge in and out several times, the plug is on good I will inspect the pins as well. I looked at several gauge clusters in Carlisle this past weekend but was not sure if I needed another cluster or not.
Old April 27th, 2018, 09:40 AM
Administrator

If it worked correctly before you diddled around with it, it should work again. Look at everything you touched.