A/C problem69 Cutlass Convertible

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2018, 08:02 AM

A/C problem69 Cutlass Convertible

I recently purchased a 69 Cutlass with A/C. The previous owner told me the compressor clutch hold relay was bad so I knew about that. On my drive home from buying the car, I did not notice that the in car A/C control was in the A/C position with the temp selector in the warm position. I was pretty excited to be bringing the car home and thought only heat had been selected. As I was driving I could smell rubber burning so I pulled over and noticed the compressor clutch was smoking hot. To save time I cut the belt and brought the car home. The compressor seems to turn freely by hand and the clutch bearing seems fine. I have a new relay coming and my thought is to install the new relay and belt and see how it functions. I still am puzzled why the clutch got so hot but I am no A/C expert. My only thought is with the bad relay, maybe it was slipping. I'm wondering if I check the A/C and it works should I still change the clutch as a precautionary measure or not. If anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 12th, 2018, 09:48 AM

I posted this thread several years ago so I would suggest you review it to have a better understanding of how the electrical aspects of the AC system in your car operates and what you can do to make it function a little more like modern systems.

With this said, I don't believe your issue is electrical in nature and it may likely be due to a bad clutch assembly or it may be the compressor itself that was beginning to seize causing the belt or clutch to slip and create a lot of heat.

Best of luck with your car.

Brian

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-function.html
Old April 12th, 2018, 01:15 PM

Thanks Brian!