Tach not Working

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2018, 11:58 AM

Tach not Working

Hello all,

So I was tuning up my 71 442 this past weekend, which I didn't finish. Not sure if a wire got grounded out or not. I have not got the car running again yet, but the tach is not working. Typically when I would crank the engine to start the tach would immediately start to register RPMs, now it's not. Is there an inline fuse in the circuit from the coil to the tach? I ended up having to pull the distributor because the ground wire inside broke loose and since the coil was in the way of removing that it came off as well. It was much easier to work on, on the bench. Anyway things got more involved than expected in a hurry.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

John
Old April 9th, 2018, 06:42 AM

Hello all,

Got her running this past weekend. This is a new one on me. It was the points! Yes, I bought the better Standard points and condenser. the points have a fiber wiper that wipes the cam before the points arm hits the cam. The little fork that holds the wiper was bent and grounding on the spring steel going to the contact set. Never seen this one before, but got her running and everything works well. Including the tach.

John