Speaker Installation - 1975 Delta 88 Convertible - ClassicOldsmobile.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 13th, 2018, 12:37 PM   #1  

Speaker Installation - 1975 Delta 88 Convertible

Hello,

I plan to upgrade the sound system in my 1975 Delta 88 convertible this year. I don't want to cut anything, but the original speaker locations are not the best. 3-1/2 in dash, and 6x9 behind the back seat, firing into the convertible top area.

I plan on putting a new stereo (either under dash or in glove box), a 4 channel amp for (4) speakers (front/rear) and 1 sub in the trunk. I just want to hear music when I'm cruising around.

Has anybody done anything different in a delta 88? Maybe 6/9 boxes on floor/back seat, or other surface mount speakers in rear? Or - did you put 6x9 in the stock locations?

Has anybody found kick panel speakers that actually fit this car? I have seen them for other models?

I have seen where people cut the doors or back side panels for speakers, but this car is all original, and I don't want to be the first guy to start cutting a 43 year old car.
jja18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 09:26 PM   #2  
ph_ckstick1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jja18 View Post
Hello,

I plan to upgrade the sound system in my 1975 Delta 88 convertible this year. I don't want to cut anything, but the original speaker locations are not the best. 3-1/2 in dash, and 6x9 behind the back seat, firing into the convertible top area.

I plan on putting a new stereo (either under dash or in glove box), a 4 channel amp for (4) speakers (front/rear) and 1 sub in the trunk. I just want to hear music when I'm cruising around.

Has anybody done anything different in a delta 88? Maybe 6/9 boxes on floor/back seat, or other surface mount speakers in rear? Or - did you put 6x9 in the stock locations?

Has anybody found kick panel speakers that actually fit this car? I have seen them for other models?

I have seen where people cut the doors or back side panels for speakers, but this car is all original, and I don't want to be the first guy to start cutting a 43 year old car.
Are the front seat head rest removable ?
If so, you could take the cover off, and have an upholstery shop punch small holes in them in 2) 3" circles, and install 2 3.5" speakers in them. and run the speaker wire through the seat back..
Use the headunits speaker outs for those 4 speakers front l&r for driver and rear l&r for the pass seat. then use your add on amp to power the dash and 6x9's in the stock spots..

This way to go back to stock is just a recover of the headrest upholstery.
If they are big enough 2" 4".
Done this in many convertibles .
I can't take credit for this. Saw this in Fiero's seats when new. and thought . great idea.
I want to do it to the love seat at home, so when wife is sleeping I can watch the tv.
hope this helps..
midnightleadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 12:06 AM   #3  

First things first, it is a beast to make good sound in a convertible. Harder if you drive with the top down a lot. But if you replace the factory dash speakers with Kenwood 3 1/2 inch dual cone speakers I think you will be pleasantly surprised. The Kenwood 3 1/2 and 4 inchers are the best sounding small speakers I ever heard. I was a stereo installer for 15 years so I heard plenty. Use a high pass crossover to keep the low bass out of them and they will last a long time.

There are lots of youtube videos on how to mod kick panels for speakers. Get a pair from a parts car and go at it. You can even build new door panels with speaker locations and save the factory ones to sell with the car. Youtube again.

Add a small 2-4-5-channel amp with electronic crossover and you can add a small subwoofer for for even better sound.

I butchered way too many cars in the '80s but there is no need to do that. Save your factory parts and build custom ones or get factory parts from a parts car to modify. Read stereo forums to make the best choice for your needs.

Last edited by cjsdad; February 17th, 2018 at 12:10 AM.
cjsdad is offline   Reply With Quote