All In One Powered Sub (Best Location?)

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2018, 10:33 AM

All In One Powered Sub (Best Location?)

I was thinking about adding a powered sub to a future stock appearing radio I'm planning to install.
My goal is to have a stock appearance.
I was planning to place an all in one sub under one of the front seats but with the seat adjustment wire in the way, I'm not so sure that would be the best location.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the process of replacing the carpet so it's the perfect time to run wire. I had thought of putting it in the trunk but again I didn't want to deviate from stock appearance. I like Stealth mode! Lol

This is the sub I had originally thought of going with.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...65745000&ver=0
Old February 9th, 2018, 10:43 AM

I put mine in the trunk.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...y-71-98-a.html

It seems that the one you want to buy is a little bit smaller. It's harrd to tell though since there's no refernce. Could you fit it in your trunk underneath the package tray between the spare and the fender? That would be a "hidden" location in your trunk.
Old February 9th, 2018, 10:13 PM
ph_ckstick1

in trunk firing at the back seat..
bass is not directional.. location doesn't matter, other than it going into the cabin and not just banging the truck..
Have not done it in my olds.. but in my SS I took the rear seat and made holes 1" in the seat foam/filling (not the fabric of the seat) and the speaker was put behind it.. the seat still supported a persons back if it was ever used as a seat, but the music got into the cabin without it booming the trunk and outside the car.. basicly making the back seat in front of the speaker the speaker grill. Will be doing the same in my olds. as I hate the boom boom boom of the trunk and outside the car, bonus is it 'll take less power/volume to fill in the lows.. But I like the sound balanced not all bass. even when playing 80-90's dance music or maiden..
Old February 10th, 2018, 04:16 AM

In my convertible, largely due to even more limited options I hung a bass tube off the trunk torsion springs. Put a tether to limit swing. Been bumpin for 15 years, sounds good, out of the way, non invasive.
Old February 17th, 2018, 12:28 AM

Sorry Leadfoot, the best way to add bass in a passenger vehicle is to face it into the trunk. Boom Boom is optional! Firing the woofer directly into the back seat will reduce the sound and ruin the sound quality. Bass IS non-directional but there is a lot more to it than that.

If you insist on a factory look there is nothing you can do to add a stereo. If you want it to look close-to-factory there are some options. The modern tube subs are far and away better than the ones in the '80s, just go with a brand name and not the cheapest you can find. That Alpine sub would be great. Mount it under the package tray (rear deck) facing down and it will work just fine.
Old February 17th, 2018, 04:35 AM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by cjsdad
Sorry Leadfoot, the best way to add bass in a passenger vehicle is to face it into the trunk. Boom Boom is optional! Firing the woofer directly into the back seat will reduce the sound and ruin the sound quality. Bass IS non-directional but there is a lot more to it than that.

If you insist on a factory look there is nothing you can do to add a stereo. If you want it to look close-to-factory there are some options. The modern tube subs are far and away better than the ones in the '80s, just go with a brand name and not the cheapest you can find. That Alpine sub would be great. Mount it under the package tray (rear deck) facing down and it will work just fine.
The aim it into the trunk is great if you want muddy loose bass.
I like tight solid bass that doesn't over power the music..
depends on what you want..
My last car, a g body the bass went down to 18hz. without a band pass boom boom box. I go to sound not outright loudness..
Old February 17th, 2018, 07:25 AM

Dood, I've just about done it all with bass. I was a stereo installer, and a good one, for 15 years. "Muddy loose bass" depends on how you adjust the system, not the speaker location. The amplifier/woofer combo the OP is looking at will work quite well if mounted to the underside of the rear deck which is mostly out of site and will not produce a standing wave. It can be adjusted to the volume and bandwidth that he will enjoy. Alpine makes high quality products so he should not have any problems with it.
Old February 17th, 2018, 07:48 AM

Thanks Guys for all helpful info! I think placing the sub under the package tray is a great idea. I was thinking of camouflaging the edge of the sub case that's visible with trunk spatter paint making it less noticable. I'm getting excited about this project now! Lol
30 years ago I had a 70 Chevelle SS I put a headunit in the glovebox, tweets in the corner vents of the dash, a couple small speakers in the center of the dash, 6x9's in the rear and a 5th order sub box with 8's vented into the rear package tray. Rockford Fosgate amps powered the system using two batteries. Everything was hidden! I could play the music all day at a carshow. People would look inside and scratch their heads wondering how a stock am-fm radio could sound so good! Lol I'm older now and just want good sound while I'm cruising down the road but I still want it to be stock appearing.
Old February 17th, 2018, 06:36 PM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by cjsdad
Dood, I've just about done it all with bass. I was a stereo installer, and a good one, for 15 years. "Muddy loose bass" depends on how you adjust the system, not the speaker location. The amplifier/woofer combo the OP is looking at will work quite well if mounted to the underside of the rear deck which is mostly out of site and will not produce a standing wave. It can be adjusted to the volume and bandwidth that he will enjoy. Alpine makes high quality products so he should not have any problems with it.
Look I'm not argueing with you..
Not everyone wants the world to know they have more than a basic sterio in there car.
I've won awards for this. If what you installed worked for the customer great. no harm no fowl..
Many that I installed for didn't want any of the gear to be seen. Some when at a car show don't want to advertise "steal me" showing off the gear.nor, did they want the trunk rattle that comes with the firing at the trunk wall.
It all works, but claiming that a bandpass box isn't loose muddy bass..
well. YMMV