Distributor shaft - ClassicOldsmobile.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 14th, 2017, 08:41 AM   #1

Distributor shaft

When putting a distributor back together, do i have to lube the shaft with engine oil? I ask because when i disassembled it, there was oil on it.

Thanks guys
WB8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 09:26 AM   #2

I'm not sure of what engine/year we are talking about here but on most Oldsmobile's engines at the rear there is a oil galley plug that has a small hole that allows oil to lubricate the distributor gear . I think this is what you are seeing. If the engine hasn't been run for a long time or is just been rebuilt you need to lubricate that gear and shaft so it won't run dry till the oil pressure comes up..... Tedd
Tedd Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 09:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB8588 View Post
When putting a distributor back together
Are you reassembling a distributor or merely inserting it back into the engine? For reassembly, the shaft should be lubricated with grease. For inserting into the block, do what Tedd said.
Fun71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 09:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun71 View Post
Are you reassembling a distributor or merely inserting it back into the engine? For reassembly, the shaft should be lubricated with grease. For inserting into the block, do what Tedd said.
Reassembly. I had to replace the pickup coil.
Old November 14th, 2017, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson View Post
I'm not sure of what engine/year we are talking about here but on most Oldsmobile's engines at the rear there is a oil galley plug that has a small hole that allows oil to lubricate the distributor gear . I think this is what you are seeing. If the engine hasn't been run for a long time or is just been rebuilt you need to lubricate that gear and shaft so it won't run dry till the oil pressure comes up..... Tedd
ok great. Thanks Tedd!
Old November 14th, 2017, 12:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB8588 View Post
Reassembly. I had to replace the pickup coil.
Be sure to clean out any hardened grease that may be in the housing where the shaft goes. Mine had quite a bit that I had to nearly chisel out.
Fun71 is online now   Reply With Quote