Reinstall headlamp switch question

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2017, 01:59 PM

Reinstall headlamp switch question

Hi, I am reinstalling a new headlamp switch. The old one came out easy enough. In putting it back, I found the pictured piece loose inside my dash. What is this and what does it do? Is it necessary? I can't quite tell but does this go in between the switch and dash and is it supposed to be held in place by the threaded coupling that holds the "lights" bezel and switch together. Let me know and thanks in advance for your assistance.

Last edited by elfreedman; September 30th, 2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old September 30th, 2017, 02:40 PM

Looks like dash light, there are the grey wires. Someone will chime in and tell us how it mounts.
Old September 30th, 2017, 05:23 PM

It might help to know what vehicle you are working on.
Old September 30th, 2017, 06:20 PM

Your car has the optional light package which includes that light housing. It shines a light directly on the word LIGHTS and through the small hole it shines down through the bezel to the pull stem. Yes, that housing is held by the switch itself and the nut and bezel. It's a bitch to get it in the right spot and tighten everything up. Watch that notch to ensure its in the right spot. I'm going from memory.
Old October 1st, 2017, 12:07 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the info. it is a 71 Cutlass. I left it off for now. I may mess with it later and see if I can get it all together. It was "fun" just getting the switch coupled to the threaded fitting with the light bezel. But it works and I am glad to have my instrument lights back working. ☺️

Originally Posted by Rocketbrian
Your car has the optional light package which includes that light housing. It shines a light directly on the word LIGHTS and through the small hole it shines down through the bezel to the pull stem. Yes, that housing is held by the switch itself and the nut and bezel. It's a bitch to get it in the right spot and tighten everything up. Watch that notch to ensure its in the right spot. I'm going from memory.