72 cutlass blower/heat trouble shooting

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2017, 06:21 PM

72 cutlass blower/heat trouble shooting

Hey guys I'm new to the site and I have a 72 cutlass 442 that I'm having some issues with regarding the ac heat blower. I'm not concerned with the ac because I know how pitiful they are and I have 180 so no need for it. However when I try to turn on the heat nothing happens, I've tracked down the wires leading to the back of the control panel and they all seem to be getting juice to them as well as to the fuse box etc. when I click the blower speed from high down to medium to low the relay on the firewall clicks, I read a thread on here earlier and a guy said when his did that he bought a new relay and it solved his problems, so with high hopes I did the same and plugged it in but still nothing. All the wires are present and everything seems to be in the correct place could it be the blower motor itself???, any information would really help I appreciate it in advance.
Old September 6th, 2017, 12:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by GSJames
any information would really help I appreciate it in advance.
Well for starters, stop wasting money on parts until you find the problem. Start with the motor. Apply 12v directly to the motor. Does it run? If not, verify that the ground wire is in place (the A/C box is fiberglass and requires a ground wire to the motor).

If the motor still doesn't run, then replace it. If it does, trace the wiring back to the relay, resistor, fuse, and control switch. This is where being able to read the wiring diagram in the Chassis Service Manual comes in handy.