69 Cutlass S wiring troubles

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2017, 11:35 AM

69 Cutlass S wiring troubles

I'm having a wiring issue with my 69 Cutlass S. With both the ignition switch and the light switch either on or off all four side marker lights are on very dim.

The problem began after I reinstalled the steering column. I swapped out the
turn signal assembly and still have the same problem.

Using the light switch all lights work as they should with or without the key switch on or off.

Not sure if it is related but I have no power to the radio, fuse is good.

I have rechecked the grounds to the front harness that handles the front side marker lights as well as the harness to the rear side lights.

Any trouble shooting suggestions would be appreciated
Old August 30th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Administrator

What happens if you unplug the direction plug on the column?
Old August 30th, 2017, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
What happens if you unplug the direction plug on the column?

Ok, that worked as the light went out.

The end of the turn signal harness where it attaches to the main wiring harness is in two pieces. To align the color coded matching wires I had to cut the turn signal side of the connector into two sections or the wires would not align correctly.

The main section has the following six wires. Left to right as you look up to the column where the plugs connect.

White Green Yellow Purple Brown Blue

The second section of the plug contains the following four wires:

Lt Blue Black Pink Black

When I tried the other turn signal harness it fit correctly and all the wires lined up as they should. It also kills the dim light when unplugged.

I'm guessing now that the problem is associated with one of the first six wires listed above.

I have swapped out 4 different headlight switches and in doing so found that using the light switch reo-stat I can make the dim side marker lights bright.

Last edited by Bitburger; August 30th, 2017 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Addl info
Old August 30th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Did you turn on the lights and ignition to make sure all the lights work correctly?

I do not have a schematic handy for your year car, so can't follow wire colors.

If your not finding the problem in the harness connectors, move back to the new switch. Look at where the TS arm is connected to the switch with a screw. Sometimes if its overtight it will lightly short over the wire terminals on top of the switch.
Old August 31st, 2017, 03:38 AM

Did you turn on the lights and ignition to make sure all the lights work correctly?

I do not have a schematic handy for your year car, so can't follow wire colors.

If your not finding the problem in the harness connectors, move back to the new switch. Look at where the TS arm is connected to the switch with a screw. Sometimes if its overtight it will lightly short over the wire terminals on top of the switch.

Problem is the same without even having the turn signal arm attached.
My schematic shows the brown wire is to the side markers.
Old August 31st, 2017, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Ok, I found some diagrams. The parking light, tail light, and side marker lights are all hooked in parallel (front and rear) with power coming off the headlight switch. If the marker lights are dim, so should the parking lights?

The blinkers, 4 way power, and brake light power goes through the TS switch. The only thing that is common through the TS switch that feeds both front signal lights and rear signal lights is the 4 ways. Plug the column connector in and pull the signal stat at the fuse panel and see what happens.
Old August 31st, 2017, 06:55 AM

Ok, I found some diagrams. The parking light, tail light, and side marker lights are all hooked in parallel (front and rear) with power coming off the headlight switch. If the marker lights are dim, so should the parking lights?

The blinkers, 4 way power, and brake light power goes through the TS switch. The only thing that is common through the TS switch that feeds both front signal lights and rear signal lights is the 4 ways. Plug the column connector in and pull the signal stat at the fuse panel and see what happens.
Ok I'll try that, when activated the the parking lights are bright. The flashers are currently not working they light but don't flash. I think it is strange that the HL switch reostat will make the side markers bright or dim.

Thanks for the help Eric.

Brad
Old August 31st, 2017, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Hmmmmm, plug everything back in and then unplug the headlight plg and inspect the connector and the switch. You may have to remove it from the dash to get access. There is a release on the side of the switch to pull out the handle and then unscrew the nut that holds the switch to the dash and see if it will drop down. Disconnect the battery before you remove the switch.
Old August 31st, 2017, 07:32 PM
Administrator

How did you make out?
Old September 2nd, 2017, 06:05 AM

How did you make out?
Sorry, I was travelling and will be away for a few days and will try plugging and unplugging the HL switch when I get back. I have already swapped out four different HL switches and still the same problem.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 07:55 AM
Administrator

It may be in the plug, the curious part of your problem is it dims with the HL rheostat.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 11:08 AM

I don't have a diagram to look at and I may be way off base. Does the interior dome lamp on this car normally light with light switch turned full left? Is it possible the wiring for the dash lights, dome light and wiring for parking lamps is crossed at the headlight switch? Do the side lamps that are dim (switch on or off as in first post), go out when doors are closed?
Are the dash lights dimming as designed?
Just tossing this out there, I kinda like chasing electric gremlins.
Old September 4th, 2017, 12:32 PM

Color Wire Diagram

In my album, I have a color wire diagram for a 68, if it helps.
Old September 5th, 2017, 02:45 PM

It may be in the plug, the curious part of your problem is it dims with the HL rheostat.

Right now I am away from the problem and am at the beach prepping for Irma. I did bring my manuals with me and have been searching the wiring schematic for ideas. The car is being reassembled and the wiring harness was replaced so anything is a possibility right now.

I don't believe that the black wire coming from the horn relay (the one with the fusable link is currently connected. So that will be my first order of business when I return. I don't think the probem is in either the HL switch or the TS switch in the column.

Thanks,
Brad
Old September 5th, 2017, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by m371961
I don't have a diagram to look at and I may be way off base. Does the interior dome lamp on this car normally light with light switch turned full left? Is it possible the wiring for the dash lights, dome light and wiring for parking lamps is crossed at the headlight switch? Do the side lamps that are dim (switch on or off as in first post), go out when doors are closed?
Are the dash lights dimming as designed?
Just tossing this out there, I kinda like chasing electric gremlins.

Have not checked the dash lights or the kick panel interior lights, no dome ( convertible). The kick panel lights should light when the rheostat is turned all the way left (I think)

Not sure how the wires could have crossed at the HL switch as the plug I intact. One of the accessory lights may not be hooked up and could be grounding out.

I'll get back on this in a few days when I get home.

Thanks,
Brad
Old September 5th, 2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by wls559
In my album, I have a color wire diagram for a 68, if it helps.

Thanks, I do have a service manual with a good schematic I just have very limited ability. lol
Old September 5th, 2017, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bitburger

Have not checked the dash lights or the kick panel interior lights, no dome ( convertible). The kick panel lights should light when the rheostat is turned all the way left (I think)

Not sure how the wires could have crossed at the HL switch as the plug is intact. One of the accessory lights may not be hooked up and could be grounding out.

I'll get back on this in a few days when I get home.

Thanks,
Brad
Old September 15th, 2017, 03:09 PM

Well after spending much time and many beverages looking at the wiring diagram I unplugged the stoplight switch and everything began working properly.

It seems that the harness had been repaired about five inches before the stoplight switch wrapped with eletrical tape and stuffed above the steering column. When the repair was made the wires were crossed and that apparently screwed everything up.

Thanks especially to Eric and all those who responded.
Old September 15th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Administrator

They are always a challenge especially when dealing with previous owners repairs. Glad you stumbled on it.