Convertible Power Window Motor

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2017, 05:54 PM

Convertible Power Window Motor

My convertible power windows are very sluggish going up. How do I know when they are done and I need to replace them? Is there a way to rebuild them? Jim
Old August 6th, 2017, 05:59 PM

I suggest lubricating everything that moves inside the door, that may be all you need.
Old August 6th, 2017, 06:16 PM

Thanks Blakes. It's actually the rear windows so I'll see about what I can lube there. I'll have to figure out the equivalent 2017 lube from what the 1969 service manual says. It's always tough trying to figure those out.
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Use silicone grease only. Any petroleum based grease will eventually attach the plastic rollers. This may solve the problem, as the factory grease dries out over time, however it can also be do to worn brushes in the motor.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 07:21 PM

Thanks Joe. I appreciate the feedback.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 07:23 PM

Does anyone think there is a way to rebuild the motors if the brushes might be worn out or is it a remove-and-replace the whole motor assembly with no rebuild option?
Old August 23rd, 2017, 05:17 AM

Before jumping straight to the motors I would check/clean all connections and grounds, including switches. A little odd both motors are failing at the same time.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 06:08 AM

I doubt the motors have enough run in time to wear the brushes significantly. They're only on for short periods of time. I would do what others have suggested first. Joe makes a good point about the grease and avoiding petroleum based products.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 07:03 PM
Rodney

Power window motor refresh

Originally Posted by jimvbills
Does anyone think there is a way to rebuild the motors if the brushes might be worn out or is it a remove-and-replace the whole motor assembly with no rebuild option?
I took apart a power window motor last year to freshen it up thinking 40 years of oxidation and dried lubricant must be slowing things down. I cleaned and lubed the bearings; cleaned the armature & brushes; cleaned and deoxidized the electrical connector and re-crimped the ground wire to the body shell. After all this effort it was not significantly faster than before. One positive thing was the no-load current draw was about 1 amp less than before the refresh.

I think you'll get more effective results from cleaning & lubricating the guides & rollers. However, it wouldn't hurt to clean the connector contacts at the motors and switches as any resistance at these points will reduce the effective voltage at the motors causing them to run a bit slower.
Old September 8th, 2017, 06:17 PM

Thanks for all of your input. Lots of work to be done. That's for sure.
Old September 17th, 2019, 09:13 AM

Thanks to all of your feedback, I was able to reuse the old motors. The 50 year old grease and surface rust on the tracks, cams and other parts was the problem. I cleaned everything with wire brush and wheel and brake cleaner. The motors moved the windows up like they were brand new. I'll have dismantle again to reapply silicone grease.