"Optional Audible Alert Device"

Old March 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM

Talking "Optional Audible Alert Device"

I'm very confident in my decision to add a nice air horn to my car. Some may disagree completely but I have already made up my mind. Ha.

I've seen and heard many people putting actual train horns in their vehicles ...but I'm not that rich nor desperate for attention. So I've decided to install a single low tone horn for the helluvit.

I want to keep the stock horns on and use the steering wheel as the only button. Then adding a single pole, double throw toggle so I can choose either loud or deafening based on the situation ahead.
My 'befuzzlement' starts here -- How would I run this setup? I cannot think this out for the damnedest.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by 77olds98; March 30th, 2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 77olds98
I'm very confident in my decision to add a nice air horn to my car. Some may disagree completely but I have already made up my mind. Ha.

I've seen and heard many people putting actual train horns in their vehicles ...but I'm not that rich nor desperate for attention. So I've decided to install a single low tone horn for the helluvit.

I want to keep the stock horns on and use the steering wheel as the only button. Then adding a single pole, double throw toggle so I can choose either loud or deafening based on the situation ahead.
My 'befuzzlement' starts here -- How would I run this setup? I cannot think this out for the damnedest.

Thank you very much!

You need to switch the wire that controls the horn relay. You will need a second relay for the new horns. The SPDT switch you talked about will be wired between the wire coming from the steering column - which will go to the common terminal in the new switch - and the two relays. Now the steering wheel horn button will activate either the factory horn relay or the new horn relay. You don't want to put the switch on the horn side of the relay because the current is much higher.
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:53 PM

Why, thank you, Joe!

It would be a smart idea to put a fuse before the relay -- correct? 15 amp fuse?

Thank you once again!

Old March 31st, 2009, 04:26 AM

Auto Loc sells aftermarket horns. You can even get a Boss Hog or Mexican Hat Dance horn. They are reasonably priced too.

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autoloc/
Old March 31st, 2009, 04:30 AM
Past Administrator

You wouldn't really need a fuse since the circuit you are using (horn relay) is already fused but it wouldn't hurt.
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by 77olds98

Thank you very much!

I've been thinking about mounting three sets of train horns on my truck One in front of each steer, and one mounted between the spreads. Scare the livin pizz outta the next bastage that cuts me off. The use an azz load of air though. Got friends that have emm, they work...Very well.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by csstrux
I've been thinking about mounting three sets of train horns on my truck One in front of each steer, and one mounted between the spreads. Scare the livin pizz outta the next bastage that cuts me off. The use an azz load of air though. Got friends that have emm, they work...Very well.

Wow -- that's quite an idea ! I'm going to mount mine behind the grille...probably the most typical place for 'em. I just wanted a little extra somethin' somethin' for those times too, haha! Also, it's a dandy with unsuspecting lawn mowers and community service workers on the roadside, lol

Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:14 AM

I'm not sure how they are powered. (electric motor, or air pump) Train style horns can be gotten new at some truck stops, but are plumbed for an exterior air source. You could probably get an air tank , and small 12V air compressor, and an electronically controlled air valve. A bit of fabrication, and plumbing would be required, but you would definitely wake up the next fool that thinks they are God behind the wheel. Keep in mind that the big horns use big air, If you want duration, you will need a good sized tank, or two moderately sized ones plumbed with larger lines for volume, and flow. I have heard stories, but have not confirmed them. These things have scared idiots clean off the road, not so bad when you gross 76,000 + lbs, but could mess you up in a car if the putz zigs instead of zagz
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:21 AM

PS if you get up into the Chi town area the TA truck stop on 94 russell road exit at the WI/IL state line sells them for about a buck and e quarter last time I checked a couple years ago. 165 decibels they say you can hear them clearly across the truck stop, (not exactly a quiet place) aprox 1/4 mile across.