Help w/ Fuel Sending Unit

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2017, 07:52 PM

Help w/ Fuel Sending Unit

Would like some advice to diagnose fuel gauge issue. In the middle of several projects at once but was ready to finally fire the engine. New tank, sending unit and need to find a good spot for a ground. I screwed the ground wire to a spot under the trunk but must not have been a very good contact as no change to the gauge reading. Gauge worked prior to dropping the tank a while back. I'm novice at best when it comes to testing electrical so not sure if it's just a bad ground or if I need to test something else. Sending unit was new when it was installed a few weeks ago.

As to the ground, where is a good spot to ground the wire? Is it best to find a spot of the body underneath, clear the spot to bare metal and then drill a screw?

If I need to test the connection, what's the best method with a simple volt meter?
Old July 17th, 2017, 04:02 AM
Administrator

What is the gauge reading with the key on? You can attach the ground wire anywhere on the body and frame. There should already be a stock location for the wire to attach.
Old July 17th, 2017, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
What is the gauge reading with the key on? You can attach the ground wire anywhere on the body and frame. There should already be a stock location for the wire to attach.
Gauge is reading E at all times. Granted there is only around 4-5 gallons of gas in it currently but I expected to have a little movement in the needle. The car is a re-body due to severe rust damage on the original body and I've been looking for a spot to attach the ground but haven't been able to locate. Is there a general area it would be? I noticed a couple of holes in the bottom of the trunk brace but not deep enough for a screw.
Old July 17th, 2017, 07:33 AM

When the body was replaced on the frame were the body to engine straps(grounds) attached? As a test run a piece of wire from the - side of the battery to the ground wire on the sender. If you have juice to the sender and that new ground gauge should move. If it does replace
or attach your body grounds.... Tedd
Old July 17th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Administrator

A gauge stuck on E means a short. If you remove the wire feeding the sender the gauge should go past full with the key turned on..