25A Clk, Ltr, Courtesy Fuse blowing

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2017, 06:22 AM

25A Clk, Ltr, Courtesy Fuse blowing

Ok, so I've been spending some time trying to figure this out and am looking for some guidance - 70 442 coupe.

My interior/dome light fuse blows each time it is turned on manually or if a door is open and activated by the door jamb switch. The first thing I did was take both door jamb switches out and replaced them but I got the same results.

I then took out both door jamb switches and put in a new fuse and all works well - problem solved, all the courtesy lights work - every light in the car works except for the dome light. I'm thinking I need a new main dash wiring harness but I then disconnect my courtesy light harness and plug the door jamb switches back in and all works well again - no more blown fuses! The dome light comes on when the doors are open and the dome light will come on when activated by the headlight switch. I checked all of my lights: headlights, taillights, side lights etc... and all work great so I think that my courtesy light harness has a short causing an issue with the door jamb switches and order a new one and I put that in and boom the fuse blows again.

I'm now thinking it is the console extension harness that's causing the issue (what else could it be…) as the dash harness plugs into that and the courtesy harness plugs into it too. I figured let me disconnect the console extension harness and plug the dash harness into the courtesy light harness to see if all works well but No the dam fuse blows again.

So I ask, no - I beg you, please give me guidance in finding the culprit that's causing me frustration. So is my issue somewhere with the main harness after all? Again, disconnecting the courtesy light harness the dome lamp works as it should with no issues. As always, I truly appreciate any help the Olds community can offer.
Old July 1st, 2017, 07:05 AM
Administrator

The dome light, map light, courtesy lights, clock, lighter, glove box light, and trunk light all use the same fuse. The L door switch also provides a ground for the key buzzer. Your problem is not on the ground side its on the power side of one of the above items. Start by unplugging all of them and plug each one in at a time including the key buzzer/horn relay plug under the hood.
Old July 1st, 2017, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The dome light, map light, courtesy lights, clock, lighter, glove box light, and trunk light all use the same fuse. The L door switch also provides a ground for the key buzzer. Your problem is not on the ground side its on the power side of one of the above items. Start by unplugging all of them and plug each one in at a time including the key buzzer/horn relay plug under the hood.

Okay, I'll check it thank you.
Old July 1st, 2017, 11:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Electrical gremlins can be caught by leaving out a bowl of lucky charms. JK
I know they're sometimes hard to track down, even more so if someone else has butchered the OEM harness in the first place.

I know it sounds a bit lame, but think about the last time it worked right. Then ask what has been done since. That's usually the answer. If nothing has been done, I tend to agree with Eric, also look for where one of the power leads might be touching a ground.
Old July 2nd, 2017, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Electrical gremlins can be caught by leaving out a bowl of lucky charms. JK
I know they're sometimes hard to track down, even more so if someone else has butchered the OEM harness in the first place.

I know it sounds a bit lame, but think about the last time it worked right. Then ask what has been done since. That's usually the answer. If nothing has been done, I tend to agree with Eric, also look for where one of the power leads might be touching a ground.
ok, thanks. Had to leave yesterday for a cookout and returning this morning back to my electrical problem.
Old July 2nd, 2017, 04:44 AM

Scratching my head wondering why when searching the forum for answers that I did not follow up on checking for proper bulbs. My two well lights should have been two prong but I had one prong which caused the short. I appreciate the assistance from past to present.
Old July 2nd, 2017, 04:53 AM
Administrator

Glad you found it.
Old July 2nd, 2017, 08:32 AM

Me too, thank you for your input.