Horn Button Alignment

Old June 13th, 2017, 04:47 PM

Horn Button Alignment

I cannot get my horn button to align so the rocket is vertical. The horn plunger is in approximately the 1 o'clock position. I'm borrowing a picture from another post that looks to me like the plunger is in roughly the 10 o'clock position. If the 10 o'clock version is correct, and it looks like it would solve the alignment problem, how do I get the snap ring off, and can I turn the plate? cancelling cam? whatever? so that the plunger boss is in the correct spot.

I have the wheel, wheel hub, and lock plate cover off. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sport Wheel.jpg (170.6 KB, 22 views)
Old June 13th, 2017, 07:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by keith.parks@sbcglobal.net
I cannot get my horn button to align so the rocket is vertical. The horn plunger is in approximately the 1 o'clock position. I'm borrowing a picture from another post that looks to me like the plunger is in roughly the 10 o'clock position. If the 10 o'clock version is correct, and it looks like it would solve the alignment problem, how do I get the snap ring off, and can I turn the plate? cancelling cam? whatever? so that the plunger boss is in the correct spot.

I have the wheel, wheel hub, and lock plate cover off. Thanks!
You need a lock plate compressor tool to depress the lock plate enough to remove the snap ring.

More to the point, the tip of the steering shaft has a scribe mark that should be straight up if the wheels are aligned correctly. The parts of the steering column (including the lock plate) only go together one way. If the tube for the horn contact is not aligned properly with the lock plate installed, the alignment is incorrect and needs to be recentered by adjusting the tie rods. DO NOT force the lock plate into place in an incorrect position in an ill-fated attempt to fix this.
Old June 14th, 2017, 04:53 AM

Thanks for the help! I was afraid I was trying to wade in too deep. I don't have the lock plate off, thank goodness, but I'm right up to that point. Looks like I put it back together and head off to the alignment guy. Thanks again.