58 98 Turn Signal indicators

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2017, 03:19 PM

58 98 Turn Signal indicators

I have been chasing the electric gremlins yesterday and today. Gen light did not come on when key is on, engine is off. And both turn signal indicators light up for right turn, but only the indicators.
Gen light problem was bad connection at the circuit board. Left turn indicator bulb was burnt out.
I pulled the circuit board tested it and cleaned it up best I could. Replaced all the bulbs. Put it all back together, now gen light is fine. But turn signal indicators both light up when either direction is selected, and flash opposite the front and rear turn signals, which are working correctly.
I have replaced the T/S switch with a new one from Fusick.
I am guessing the new flasher is bad and sending voltage back up the ground circuit to the indicator lights. I will pick up a new flasher tomorrow and give it a try.
Anyone else have this problem?
I have read 58 was the first year for the printed circuit board.
Steve
Old June 5th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Administrator

I can't find a schematic for your printed circuit board. Do you have one you can post? Does your switch have separate contacts for the instrument lamps?
Old June 5th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Not sure if this is the answer to your turn signal indicator problem, but I the same problem with my '56 (both indicators flashing) and it turned out that I was using the wrong flasher. Every vendor referenced a 550 flasher. The correct flasher for my car is a Tung-sol P273D, or equivalent

It might be the answer to your problem.

Last edited by ignachuck; June 5th, 2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old June 5th, 2017, 04:11 PM

Eric, the manual shows the diagram, it is pretty straight forward. The indicators use the front signal connections on the T/S switch.
Frank, I was wondering if that could be the issue. I do have a 550 flasher, and that is what was on the car when I got it. Fusick shows the 550 also and the book does not list a part number. I will look for the P273D.
Thank you for your help.
Steve
Old June 8th, 2017, 09:28 AM

Well the 273 flasher did not fix the problem. Both signal (pilot) lights still flash together, on either left or right selection, although not as bright as with the 550 flasher. These are 3 prong flashers. X is power, L is load to the T/S switch, P is Pilot indicator lights.
The pilot lights get their power from T/S switch at the same terminal as the front turn signals. I assumed the P terminal on the flasher would be the ground for the Pilot lights.
The front turn signals are extremely corroded but I do seem to get a ground at the bulb base.
Continuing with troubleshooting.
Steve
Old June 8th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Administrator

If the body turn signals are working properly, I would assume the issue to be at the pcb. Like I said I don't have a schematic. Look for a bad ground there or a short.
Old June 8th, 2017, 12:02 PM

Thank you for the reply Eric. That is what I will be looking for. I scanned the wire diagram from the manual. Thanks again. Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Scan.jpg (833.5 KB, 5 views)
Old June 8th, 2017, 01:13 PM

Fixed

Well so much for the new made in Tiawan NAPA flasher.
I decided to start over and purchased a new MADE IN USA heavy duty flasher at Oriley's. Everything works normal.
I guess the used 273 flasher I got was NFG.
Thank you to those that offered input and advice. I am still not clear on where the T/S pilot lights get their ground. But I am not messing with it.
Steve
Old June 8th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Administrator

If you notice the pilot lights are labeled R and L but are actually wired to the opposite light socket. P (panel) is actually a pulsing power output dependent on the state of the internal bimetal strip. Whereas L is a ground supplied from the TS switch that operates the relay and heats the strip. The pilot lights pick up ground through the opposing bulb filament that is not flashing. My guess is an issue with the P signal (black wire) is not supplying the positive pulse to cancel the selected pilot light similar to the gen light by having voltage on both sides of the lamp..
Old June 8th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by stephenca118
Well so much for the new made in Tiawan NAPA flasher.
I decided to start over and purchased a new MADE IN USA heavy duty flasher at Oriley's. Everything works normal.

Steve
Glad to hear that!!