57 88 brake light switch conundrum

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2017, 04:41 PM

57 88 brake light switch conundrum

OK, so I think I'm going mad (not the first time.) Just replaced the carpeting in my 57 and now the lever on the power brake that actuates the brake lights is not working. It does not reach the switch to make contact with it and turn it off, so the brake lights are on all the time. Put another way, there is a gap between the button on the switch and the lever on the brake pedal that pushes it in when the brake is released, yet I see no way to adjust it...any ideas? An amazingly primitive system (and perhaps I have even a more primitive brain since I can't figure it out!) thanks -
Old May 30th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Is the carpeting interfering with the pedal mechanism keeping it from going all the way up?
Old May 31st, 2017, 05:29 AM

Check to see if your brake pad is worn. I had the same problem and found the socket on the back of the pad was wore out and the rod was not seating. I got a new pad from Fusick. Hope this helps.

Rick
Old May 31st, 2017, 06:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

If this is the switch that mounts in a bracket above the brake pedal arm, it adjusts. You likely pushed the pedal upward when installing the carpet and pushed the switch backwards in the bracket. Unplug the connector, screw the switch into the bracket until the plunger compresses against the pedal, and reconnect the switch. Problem solved.
Old May 31st, 2017, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Is the carpeting interfering with the pedal mechanism keeping it from going all the way up?
Don't think so, checked that out, thx
Old May 31st, 2017, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by WHIPOLDS
Check to see if your brake pad is worn. I had the same problem and found the socket on the back of the pad was wore out and the rod was not seating. I got a new pad from Fusick. Hope this helps.

Rick
Appears to be ok, thanks
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If this is the switch that mounts in a bracket above the brake pedal arm, it adjusts. You likely pushed the pedal upward when installing the carpet and pushed the switch backwards in the bracket. Unplug the connector, screw the switch into the bracket until the plunger compresses against the pedal, and reconnect the switch. Problem solved.
I don't see any adjustment that can be done on the switch. If any one has the same vintage and could shoot me a picture I'd sure be grateful. I can't fathom what I'm missing - has to be simple!
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:49 AM

Stolen pic, but there's the adjustable screw that hits the brake plunger.
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
Stolen pic, but there's the adjustable screw that hits the brake plunger.
Thanks for sending! See that gap between the screw and the plunger? That's where I am...when brake is released screw should depress the plunger, turning lights off. Screw has not been moved by me, and max adjustment won't bring it in contact with the plunger regardless. As I said in my initial post, maybe I'm going mad, LOL!
Old May 31st, 2017, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by 57droptop
Thanks for sending! See that gap between the screw and the plunger? That's where I am...when brake is released screw should depress the plunger, turning lights off. Screw has not been moved by me, and max adjustment won't bring it in contact with the plunger regardless. As I said in my initial post, maybe I'm going mad, LOL!
Old May 31st, 2017, 11:33 AM

RESOLVED! Turns out the arm that holds the adjustable bolt was apparently bent back by yours truly when raising the brake pedal. Thanks for all the help...I can go back to the original project of carpet replacement now!