rear window power

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2017, 08:39 AM

rear window power

Hi,
I have an 88 custom cruiser wagon,
The rear window does not go down and I cant find any information on where the fuse panel and which fuse it is, as a starting point /
Old May 14th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Oldsdruid

You've tried both dash switch and lock switch?

Open the gate as a DOOR and close it a few times. There's an interlock switch inside the tailgate to prevent opening it as a TAILGATE with window up. That switch may need "jiggling", for lack of a better word.

Past that the tailgate window operates off a circuit breaker same as the power door windows. I think that CB is toward top left of the fuse block.
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
You've tried both dash switch and lock switch?

Open the gate as a DOOR and close it a few times. There's an interlock switch inside the tailgate to prevent opening it as a TAILGATE with window up. That switch may need "jiggling", for lack of a better word.
The real problem is that the weight of the tailgate causes the hinge bushings to sag, so the tailgate doesn't shut all the way, which prevents that interlock switch from closing, which disables the window. You can pull the inner panel from the tailgate and jumper across that switch to test.
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:10 PM

thanks guys,
I think it might be the sag, without looking i know the tailgate drops when i open it, will check that.

just learnt it needs major work to pass inspection... frame repair at the rear, I really want to save her, will be getting a repair quote but is there any value in parting out should it be the end of the road? interior is great, dash good, all
chrome trim is great, glass, bumpers, what is valuable on these cars
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by woodbine
thanks guys,
I think it might be the sag, without looking i know the tailgate drops when i open it, will check that.

just learnt it needs major work to pass inspection... frame repair at the rear, I really want to save her, will be getting a repair quote but is there any value in parting out should it be the end of the road? interior is great, dash good, all
chrome trim is great, glass, bumpers, what is valuable on these cars
Sadly, precious little. I've been trying to part my 84 Custom Cruiser for several years now. I've got a good frame you can have for free if you can come and get it in Northern VA.
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:26 PM

I'm really hoping to save her, I get the full list of to do's tom evening. thanks kindly for the offer, I'm north of the border so may be a touch too far.