1972 cutlass wiring question

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2017, 07:47 AM

1972 cutlass wiring question

Hi. This may have been covered in another thread but I could not find it. I am restoring my 72 cutlass supreme, the wiring under the dash was butchered. I have figured out most of it except 2 purple wires coming steering column by the neutral safety switch. Also my stock radio was missing. I found a working one but am wondering if I have to hook up a rear speaker. I have seen threads saying not to operate without a 10 ohm speaker but do I need to run both? Thanks.
Old April 29th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Triharder
Hi. This may have been covered in another thread but I could not find it. I am restoring my 72 cutlass supreme, the wiring under the dash was butchered. I have figured out most of it except 2 purple wires coming steering column by the neutral safety switch. Also my stock radio was missing. I found a working one but am wondering if I have to hook up a rear speaker. I have seen threads saying not to operate without a 10 ohm speaker but do I need to run both? Thanks.
The two heavy gauge purple wires ARE the wires that plug into the neutral safety switch. One gets power from the ignition switch when you turn the key to START. The other runs to the S terminal on the starter. The NSS connects the two in PARK or NEUTRAL.
Old April 29th, 2017, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The two heavy gauge purple wires ARE the wires that plug into the neutral safety switch. One gets power from the ignition switch when you turn the key to START. The other runs to the S terminal on the starter. The NSS connects the two in PARK or NEUTRAL.
Okay. I will have to look again, I was sure there were no connections left available on the switch. Maybe an incorrect switch or someone rewired it. I will check for power and then trace the other wires and check the back up lights. When I got the car safety switch was disabled, the car would start in gear, not ideal. Thanks.
Old April 29th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Triharder
When I got the car safety switch was disabled, the car would start in gear, not ideal. Thanks.
So is this a column shift car converted to floor shift or a factory floor shift car with the backdrive linkage removed? Either way, that will disable the NSS.
Old April 29th, 2017, 11:41 AM

they removed the back drive assembly and hacked up some wiring under the dash, a few connectors and wires going nowhere. I have the back drive put back. I think the seat belt buzzer is missing as well. oh the fun.