Wireing the kickdown switch

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2009, 06:36 PM

Wireing the kickdown switch

OK Guys ,
Time to ask for a bit off Help/Suggestions .

I recently swapped Intake Manifolds on my 66 Dynamic 88 to a Torker 455 , which also meant adding an AFB 4 bbl , etc etc
part off the swap was getting rid off the Awful gas pedal linkage thingy and converting it to a Nice Cable , Lokar Gas Pedal .
Now when we started the work , I found the Kick Down , had be rigged an Locked Out , so as not to function anyway.
Now all the above is sorted out an the Car is running very well, I wanted to know if anyone else has re engineered the kick down with a switch in the Cabin , to allow the T 400 VP Switch Pitch to be able to be switched manually from high stall to Low Stall when needed ?

My Boss came up with the idea off mounting another headlight Dimmer switch over near the Gas Pedal, wired to the Trans , to allow the Trans to be easily switched back an forth as required , adding a light to the dash to tell when its in one position or the other .

I was just outside looking at the switch I removed from the car, under the hood , and its marked as follows ,
It has 3 spade terminals marked

BATT

So , if I wired a 12v source to BATT , that seems self explanitory
but what way round do i wire the 2 wires comeing from the trans, which seem to be a black and a white wire,
or does it even really matter ?
just wire them to switch and find out which way is witch ?

any help would be great

lol, i,m not great with wires

OR
Is there a better way to make the trans work as it was designed to ?

Over to the Experts .....
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM
2 '66 98's

How about giving this a try - if you have an ohm meter, check to see if 1 or 2 is connected to battery when the switch is in the closed throttle position. Then check to see if the other is connected when in the full open position. The 2-wire connector to the trans can only go on one way so that will tell you which wire go to which terminal. Follow the same sequence with whatever type of switching device you decide to use. If you can't do this, answer back and I will check it out for you. I have a couple of these switches laying around. Bruce
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Your 66 came from the factory with a switch pitch TH400. One of the output terminals from that switch controls the kickdown solenoid valve and the other controls the torque converter solenoid valve. B&M (and others) sell throttle switch kits that attach to the throttle linkage on the carb. Typically these are switches that require a pull to operate. A spring is used between the throttle arm on the carb and the switch to allow some overtravel in the throttle. You will need two of these to operate the two solenoids in your trans.
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Once Again,
Thanks for the reply,s
That made the difference , now i know what I,m dealing with

I found this on Amazon after searching for B&M

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIGDGU

That would be the way To go I think, for the kick down anyway
I stopped in after work to a Friends Transmisson shop , an asked his Thoughts , on the Switch Pitch ,
He is doing a bit off digging for me , but his initial thought was to simply wire it to a Toggle Switch in the mean time .

It,s not a Huge Issue at the min , I,ve just got "The Party Bardge" or as a guy in work calls her , "The Land Yacht" back on the road after a few months of working on it, and so far I,m Mighty Impressed with te 425 mill
Gobs of Power all over the place , now it has a Torker 455 Intake , an an AFB 4 bbl

This is the first V8 i,ve owned , an like I said , I,m well Impressed

Oh , an this Helped with Pics

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...all/index.html
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:02 PM

You could use one kickdown switch to operate both just use the switch to operate a two pole 12 volt relay. One input two outputs, simple
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:05 PM

Cool Idea
Now WHY dident I think off that !!!!!!

Oh I know , Thats why I come to you guys for help

Thanks again , I,ll let you all know how it goes
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by citcapp
You could use one kickdown switch to operate both just use the switch to operate a two pole 12 volt relay. One input two outputs, simple
Yes, however you may want to have the two functions kick in at different times. For example, you may want the switch pitch to change first, then if you press further the trans downshifts. That's the advantage of using two switches.
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Follow up Question ?
Does anyone happen to know which pole on the trans does which function , and the colour off the wire , I seem to have a white an a Black as far as I can tell , with an Orange wire feeding the 12 v to where the switch on the firewall was .