Fuel pump failure

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2017, 03:42 PM

Fuel pump failure

Bought a 99 intrigue with the fuel gauge broke always on E

So I bought a used fuel pump and had it replaced not the gaigebis always high..
Waited 2 weeks now engine light is one reading code p0440
Figured it was the fuel pump again had it replaced with another used one and the gauge is reading high again

Please help
Old March 31st, 2017, 12:14 PM

A P0440 Code translates to:

Your EVAP system is not working correctly. What is an EVAP system? Well all it really is is a way for the fumes that are generated from your fuel sloshing around and expanding on hot days to be stored until they can be sucked into the engine and burnt.

In order to do this, car makers put a charcoal canister (this part just stores all of these fumes) in the engine compartment and install hoses between this canister and the fuel tank.

Possible Causes of P0440 Code
A Leak in the System
Faulty Purge Solenoid (This is the valve that lets the fumes into the engine)
Faulty or loose fuel cap
Faulty or Loose NVLD (This is the sensor that senses whether the system is working or not)

Less Common Causes
The Computer
Leaky Fuel Tank
Bad Charcoal Canister
Old March 31st, 2017, 03:58 PM

Thanks for reply

Thanks so much for the reply ok today I just bought a new fuel cap for it it still isn't fixed. I will buy purge solenoid get it replaced then see what happens..You sure I don't need a brand new fuel pump because my car still seems jittery uphills and it a lot of power? I mean the fuel pump I have in now is keepin my car running but don't feel like it's sting enough and my startup is different everytime

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
A P0440 Code translates to:

Your EVAP system is not working correctly. What is an EVAP system? Well all it really is is a way for the fumes that are generated from your fuel sloshing around and expanding on hot days to be stored until they can be sucked into the engine and burnt.

In order to do this, car makers put a charcoal canister (this part just stores all of these fumes) in the engine compartment and install hoses between this canister and the fuel tank.

Possible Causes of P0440 Code
A Leak in the System
Faulty Purge Solenoid (This is the valve that lets the fumes into the engine)
Faulty or loose fuel cap
Faulty or Loose NVLD (This is the sensor that senses whether the system is working or not)

Less Common Causes
The Computer
Leaky Fuel Tank
Bad Charcoal Canister
Old March 31st, 2017, 04:44 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the site... Gauge readings can be affected by the grounds... The fact that your first problem was that it was reading "E", and after changing the pump it now reads "High" or I assume "full", I would be rechecking the wiring, especially the grounds...
Old May 6th, 2017, 09:07 AM

the p0440 was hidden by the inop fuel gauge- computer doesn't run the leakage test unless fuel level is between 3/4 and 1/4 tank. instead of throwing money out the window guessing what part to buy, pay someone good to diagnose problem. we commonly see a lot of problems with burnt/ bad connections broken wires. wires that have backed out of connectors. instead of buying used fuel pumps to fix sender issue, e bay a new one there cheap. or look up the sender fix on google. a lot of times its cheaper pay someone who knows vs wasting money on guessing.