1990s dealer installed remote locks

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Oldsdruid

1990s dealer installed remote locks

Anyone have any experience with the GM dealer installed remote lock kits from the early to mid 90s? Specifically, how to disable and disconnect the damn thing. Online searches don't find anything on it, not even a wiring diagram.

My 83 CC has this kit, installed by wagon's 2nd owner (Olds Zone Service Manager) and it has always worked sporadically at best. I'm having some dome lights and dash grounding issues with the car and I think the R/L box has something to do with it as it incorporates a dome light delay.

Domes work fine with the door jamb switches. Using the headlight switch dome switch they come on very dim and make the dash lighting and indicator lamps go nuts.

H/L switch dome circuit checks good. The common thread to all this weirdness is the dash grounds, of which there are 16 components grounding to one common point, and I'm willing to bet the r/l box grounds to it somehow.

Any ideas before I take the dash apart? Really looking forward to that...

Sometimes I think that damn car is determined to make me give up on it and scrap it, but I've spent too much on it last 14 mos to let this kill it.

Last edited by rocketraider; March 26th, 2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old March 27th, 2017, 11:33 PM

Are the power locks aftermarket or just the remote? If it is just the remote, they are very much like any other door lock module that your average alarm uses. If the lock motors are aftermarket, they are usually pretty easy to work with. I have installed hundreds of alarms and almost as many power locks. Take some pics of the remote module and lock motors and post them and I can probably give you some help.
Old April 7th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Oldsdruid

Power locks are factory. The remote is dealer kit. The fob had GM decal on it and the ZSM told me the zone folks were "encouraged" to install these kits on their personal vehicles to demonstrate and prod sales.

I'm not even sure where the control box is- I think I saw it over behind the glove box once when I had that out working on Tempmatic programmer.

Just before this ground wackiness started I had installed a new CC/wiper/TS lever and also put the factory Delco radio back in. No telling what I unknowingly bumped fooling around under there.
Old April 7th, 2017, 07:56 PM

The Remote Lock systems that I remember from the '90s were made by Code Alarm. They were very good units. I can look through my old manuals and see if I still have one. All of the ones I installed were very similar in design but they had different remotes and functions depending on the vehicles they went into. If I still have a manual it will be close enough in design to repair most any of them.
Old April 16th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Oldsdruid

Problem solved. It was a missing ground wire in car side radio plug that had made no difference with aftermarket radios. Made repair and car seems happy again... for a while at least.
Old April 16th, 2017, 05:42 PM

Glad to hear you solved that problem. If you aren't familiar with the troubleshooting of systems like that it can be overwhelming.