Gen light on Rally gauge always on brake light dimg

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2016, 11:21 AM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

Gen light on Rally gauge always on brake light dimg

So I just got done rewiring my 68 cutlass conv and I had my gauges reconditioned. I've have NEVER had this issue before or after I rewired the car. The gen light would only light up at initial startup and the brake light would always come on when I engaged the e brake.

Now the gen light is on while the car runs and when I engage the e brake the gen light gets a wee bit brighter and the brake light barely illuminates.

The only thing that is different is I sent the gauge off to be reconditioned and I put a ground wire between the speedo and the rally cluster...just like the other side between the speedo and the tac. I did this bc there wasn't one on there before and my oil press needle would act batty. Now it's stabilized but I have this light issue.

I'm leaning to thinking it's the gauge bc I sent it 3 times to this person bc the pins on the back kept falling off. Finally he did a great job in ensuring they stay secured but I think he jacked something up, or it could be the ground wire.

Or is it something else?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Rhett
Old August 14th, 2016, 11:24 AM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

Btw...the first 2 times he sent the gauge back both lights were operating correctly, but I didn't have the ground wire attached. Getting to those screws that attach those gauges is an absolute bear! That's why I want to get some thoughts before I start digging in there again.
Old August 14th, 2016, 11:28 AM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

And I switched the gen and brake lights and got the same results, so it's not the bulbs.
Old August 14th, 2016, 11:29 AM

Sounds like a bad ground. Try some jumpers from the instrument cluster to a known solid ground connection or the negative on the battery itself. Unplug the alternator to see if the light goes out, if it does not it comes back to wiring that is likely a grounding issue.
Old August 14th, 2016, 01:04 PM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Sounds like a bad ground. Try some jumpers from the instrument cluster to a known solid ground connection or the negative on the battery itself. Unplug the alternator to see if the light goes out, if it does not it comes back to wiring that is likely a grounding issue.
Thanks! I did unplug the alt initially and it stayed on. I think it's that grounding wire I added, but it's such a pain to get to, but it's probably an easy fix.
Old August 14th, 2016, 01:23 PM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

Well, I unplugged the alt (just the blue&wht wires) and the gen light was on still, but it was dimmly lit. Plugged it back in and the gen light was bright again.

I hope it's not an alt issue. It still doesn't really explain why the brake light doesn't light up...I just need to rip out the seat and get under therr
Old August 14th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Administrator

You can do a voltage check at the battery with the engine running and off to verify alternator function.
Old August 14th, 2016, 05:45 PM

Still sounds like a ground problem. Disconnecting the alternator should have made the light go off instead of dimming it if the alternator was the problem. It probably just dimmed because the ground it was searching out became even weaker and relied on the brake lamp circuit. Get the grounds in very good shape, use more than needed, to prevent unwanted electrical gremlins.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:34 AM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

Update - I believe the gauge is bad. I came to that conclusion b/c I took the always shining gen light bulb out, and now nothing works...good grief! Well, the gauge illuminates when I turn on the headlights, but that's the only thing that works.

I sent this off for a refurb mainly b/c the temp gauge was bad and b/c some of the pins on the back were loose. After I sent it to him for he 3rd time b/c one pin fell off, he rigged the pins in there so that they'd never fall out again. I think when he did that it jacked up other things. Outside of the 1 loose pin, everything worked until I got it back that 3rd time.

He has a lifetime warranty, and when I sent it back twice he took it with no questions asked, but I really don't want to send it back! More than that, i REALLY don't want to take it out! Do you realize how hard it is to remove those 2 bolts that attach that gauge??!!

Do i keep dealing with this or do I move on? It's almost impossible to find a single rally gauge for sale. Everyone wants to give you that Tac too.

Suggestions?