seeking info on proper CRIMPER for Packard 56 terminals

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2016, 04:31 PM

seeking info on proper CRIMPER for Packard 56 terminals

Packard 56 series is what was used in many cars of the '68 era and before and a bit after. Before sealed Weatherpack and Metri-pack stuff.

Amazon.com: 25 Packard 56 Series Female 12 Gauge Terminals GM 2989877: Automotive Amazon.com: 25 Packard 56 Series Female 12 Gauge Terminals GM 2989877: Automotive

I bought a crimper with "B" dies, but its dies are far too small to do what I need

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

anyone got a recommended tool for this task?

maybe this
Sargent Crimper Open Barrel F Type 14-24 AWG 8" OAL - - Amazon.com Sargent Crimper Open Barrel F Type 14-24 AWG 8" OAL - - Amazon.com

or if money is no object

Amazon.com: Weather Pack Unsealed Double Terminal Crimper 12040070: Automotive Amazon.com: Weather Pack Unsealed Double Terminal Crimper 12040070: Automotive

Last edited by Octania; June 4th, 2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old June 4th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Octania
Packard 56 series is what was used in many cars of the '68 era and before and a bit after. Before sealed Weatherpack and Metri-pack stuff.

Amazon.com: 25 Packard 56 Series Female 12 Gauge Terminals GM 2989877: Automotive

I bought a crimper with "B" dies, but its dies are far too small to do what I need

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

anyone got a recommended tool for this task?

maybe this
Sargent Crimper Open Barrel F Type 14-24 AWG 8" OAL - - Amazon.com

or if money is no object

Amazon.com: Weather Pack Unsealed Double Terminal Crimper 12040070: Automotive

This is the one for 12ga
Old June 4th, 2016, 07:31 PM

It appears to be for UP TO 12 AWG wire.

The mini one I bought appears to be mainly for computer connections like 22 AWG. I could have sworn I saw a review or Q/A that stated it was good to use on Packard 56's. Guess not. Too many choices and things to look at.

Last edited by Octania; June 5th, 2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old June 4th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Packard 56 is the type of terminal, however the one you chose is not for that awg size.
Old June 4th, 2016, 09:59 PM

I have the Sargent Crimper tool and they are very versatile. They cover 5 sizes and are simple to use. They may not be as impressive looking as the other ones, but they will work. I have crimped thousands of connectors with mine and they are still in great condition. These are mine after 25 years, one of the stereo shops I worked at required every stereo to be installed with Molex style connectors so at least 19 connectors each vehicle. Quite a few more most of the time.

ec0c023b-3c18-4acb-9ac0-4b038ac07d21_zpsehqujcgz.jpg
Old June 5th, 2016, 04:52 AM

I have just been crimping the Packards and weatherpac with whatever I can make work and then soldering. There are so many crimpers and didn't want to invest in ones that won't work.
Old June 5th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

The correct Packard 56 crimper will crimp both the wire tabs and the insulation tabs at the same time. I've bought about a half dozen different crimping tools, with limited success. I finally got one of the expensive tools with interchangeable jaws and bought the Packard 56 jaws. MSD sells a version of this, available at Summit, Jegs, etc.

Old June 5th, 2016, 07:49 AM

THAT is what I had in mind.

Anyone need a tool for small terms? I don't think I can ever use it. Not worth returning for $20. Package tossed.
Old June 5th, 2016, 12:13 PM

Still having trouble finding a suitable candidate under $100

specific ads?

These seem to be all for ign wires [plug wires]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-35051-Cr...ZXLeMf&vxp=mtr

This one looks about right, does insul. grip & wire grip simultaneously

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Molex-Cr...YAAOSwMmBVunu4

This is real nice, but there is NO CLUE what type termies it is for
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Molex-crimp-...cAAOSwzJ5XT1mB

Sargent $110, no reviews, no Q/A, no good pix of the business end. Fail. No.

Amazon.com: Sargent B Type Conductor Insulation Crimping Tool Open Barrel Contacts Medium Size Wire Ranges by Sargent: Artwork Amazon.com: Sargent B Type Conductor Insulation Crimping Tool Open Barrel Contacts Medium Size Wire Ranges by Sargent: Artwork

Sargent at $35 delivered...
Sargent Crimper Open Barrel F Type 14-24 AWG 8" OAL - - Amazon.com Sargent Crimper Open Barrel F Type 14-24 AWG 8" OAL - - Amazon.com

$27 for a similar 5-cavity tool, appears to require separate actions for wire crimp and Ins. Grip crimp:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Molex-Style-...cAAOSwHJhXNdry

Wanted to buy today, so i decided to try this dirt cheap unit that appears to do both Ins Grip and wire at the same time, and goes to 16 AWG, probably the largest I would use anyhow.

Hilitchi Non-Insulated tabs and receptacles Crimping plier AWG26-16 0.14-1.5mm² SN-48B - - Amazon.com Hilitchi Non-Insulated tabs and receptacles Crimping plier AWG26-16 0.14-1.5mm² SN-48B - - Amazon.com

$20 to my door in about 2 days.

This one claims to be #10 up to #3 AWG at 2.5-6.0mm^2 [per conv. chart at http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/awg-to-mm.htm]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MC3-MC4-Sola...MAAOSwEeFVG3Jd

I saw an interesting one at the store, older used tool, has FOUR prongs that come in from all sides, any idea what that is used on? No photo handy.

its action is like this, but it has 4 pointy-ish crimp prongs instead of flat sides

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWG23-10-Sel...YAAOSweW5U~GlI

Last edited by Octania; June 6th, 2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old June 5th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Still having trouble finding a suitable candidate under $100

specific ads?
OK, I have to admit that I cheated a little. The ratching crimper frames all take the same jaws. I picked up a crimper frame at Fall Carlisle for $15. I bought the MSD jaws for for Packard 56 terminals for $33 from Summit.

Edit: The MSD part number is 3506.

There are a number of vendors who sell Chinesium knock-offs of the frames for $25-$35. Here's one.

Old June 5th, 2016, 01:57 PM

well hell then why not this?

IWISS Crimping Tool Kit for Different Kind Terminals with 5 Changeable Die Sets - - Amazon.com IWISS Crimping Tool Kit for Different Kind Terminals with 5 Changeable Die Sets - - Amazon.com
Old June 5th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

I got $10 says you'll still have to buy the MSD Packard 56 jaws separately.
Old June 5th, 2016, 06:19 PM

One thing I have noticed with using the ratchet type crimpers, of all types, is that once they are crimped, that is it. They will not get any tighter. I have seen too many factory connectors that were loose. With the Sargent style you can simply grip it tighter or move to the next size smaller and re-crimp to get it tight. I have done this even to the factory P-56 connectors. Like I said, they are not as impressive looking but they have never failed me. LIke Joe, I have used many different types and sizes of crimpers from electric and hydraulic to hand held and sometimes the simple tool works best.

Originally Posted by cjsdad
I have the Sargent Crimper tool and they are very versatile. They cover 5 sizes and are simple to use. They may not be as impressive looking as the other ones, but they will work. I have crimped thousands of connectors with mine and they are still in great condition. These are mine after 25 years, one of the stereo shops I worked at required every stereo to be installed with Molex style connectors so at least 19 connectors each vehicle. Quite a few more most of the time.

Last edited by cjsdad; June 5th, 2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old June 6th, 2016, 05:25 AM

I bought a racheting crimping tool and separate jaws so I could crimp spark plug wires and electrical connections. It was less than $75 for everything and it works just as good as the fancy name brand one I use at work.
Old June 6th, 2016, 06:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

One thing I have noticed with using the ratchet type crimpers, of all types, is that once they are crimped, that is it. They will not get any tighter.
That's intentional. There is a specified crimp shape that has been engineered and tested. Overcrimping can be as bad as inadequate crimp force, as it can distort the metal and result in an inadequate joint. Improperly crimped factory terminals either didn't squeeze all the way down. or used the wrong size jaws. Also keep in mind that the jaws are designed for factory-thickness terminals. Aftermarket terminals with thinner metal won't crimp correctly.
Old June 6th, 2016, 12:40 PM

So this type 4-indentation crimper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Way-Indent...3D262378162685

anyone know what they are for? It says Harleys and such. I have never seen the mating terminal or such a terminal used anywhere.

The Packard 56 Die Set at Summit is a mere 32.59 free shipping today!

Actually more at Amazon, $40 delivered.

I guess I should get that in case joe is right. If Joe is wrong, I get $10 back anyhow! Let's see, the last time that happened...

I went ahead and ordered the $33 die set.

Let's see, because I am a stickler for detail and like to have the correct tool, so far this one tach wire has cost

$20 for 100 ft of the right color wire
$23 for the wrong crimper, sending it back
$-15 if the take it back
$20 for another crimp tool
$33 for proper dies
$20 in gas to run out to the car and back three times so far...

Last edited by Octania; June 6th, 2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old June 6th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

So this type 4-indentation crimper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Way-Indent...3D262378162685

anyone know what they are for? It says Harleys and such. I have never seen the mating terminal or such a terminal used anywhere.
Deutsch-brand sub-D connector terminals. Definitely NOT Packard 56.

Amazon.com: D-sub Dt Series Deutsch Crimping Tool 20-12 Awg: Automotive Amazon.com: D-sub Dt Series Deutsch Crimping Tool 20-12 Awg: Automotive

Old June 6th, 2016, 01:43 PM

I had to have it
It is a Buchanan C-24 Pres-SURE-tool

Still not sure what it is good for other than household earthing wires in a ferrule

Mine has an A-B sliding hole receptacle exactly like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUCHANAN-C24...p2047675.l2557

and the A-hole [?!] appears to match the outline of say a 1/4" spade terminal. The B-hole is larger and round. *sigh* w/o even trying.

I did find this

Last edited by Octania; June 6th, 2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old June 6th, 2016, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Deutsch-brand sub-D connector terminals. Definitely NOT Packard 56.

Amazon.com: D-sub Dt Series Deutsch Crimping Tool 20-12 Awg: Automotive

I wish GM used these. They are so nice and easy to work with. Not that the Packard connectors are that difficult.
Old June 6th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Administrator

That's the thing about electrical connectors, there is a different crimper for everything and they aren't cheap. See if there is an aircraft surplus supply in your area, you'll be surprised at what you might find. Also just as in the video there is a pin extractor for all the different connectors also.
Old June 7th, 2016, 07:20 AM

These are the three I have, and crimp up to #10. They came out of Delphi here when they closed - A local guy had them for sale on ebay. They still turn up regularly on ebay and seem inexpensive. Watch for cracked heads. I use them mostly for Molex style pins which have the same crimp and strain relief, as well as GM stuff. The large T&B while not exactly correct works great for large lugs on the horn relay stud, starter lug or as in my vintage, the hydraulic motor supply wiring.

GM20Crimpers203.jpg
GM20Crimpers202.jpg
GM%20Crimpers%204.jpgGM%20Crimpers%201.jpg

Last edited by coldwar; June 7th, 2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old June 7th, 2016, 04:04 PM

Huh, well, the B-die crimper arrived today, not one chance it will crimp the terminals I have nor will its puny girly frame accomodate the proper jaws on order from Summit. Pics below.

However, I did find among my tools at the work site a crimper that does look manly enough to take the Summit die set. Almost there. Sheesh what a huge PITA. I almost wouldn't mind spending over $100 for a proper set IF the seller could assure that they actually work on the proper terminals.

1.0 mm^2 should be ~18g AWG

http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/awg-to-mm.htm

No way in hell these crimpers are going to do that. "Optimistic" description.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
16157_Crimper_Fail 1.jpg (213.3 KB, 43 views)
16157_Crimper_Fail 2.JPG (31.1 KB, 37 views)
16157_Crimper_0.081t.jpg (245.2 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Octania; June 7th, 2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old June 8th, 2016, 11:23 AM

The Summit proper? Dies arrived today, here shown next to the girly tool sold as a crimper by others. If these dies do not fit my manly crimper then the quest is not over. We shall see.
Attached Images
56 Dies.JPG (34.8 KB, 63 views)
Old June 8th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Chris,

I've found that to crimp the thick-wall terminals, I often need to "start" the wings in the right direction before using the crimping tool. Coldwar shows the real Packard crimp tools, which carry K-M J-numbers. Those are the gold standard, but I have yet to find one for under $150 or so.

Of course, I've probably spent more than that buying cheap crimpers...
Old June 8th, 2016, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Packard 56 is the type of terminal, however the one you chose is not for that awg size.
I could not figure out what you guys were talking about.

Now I see... the above link is to a Packard 56 terminal for -12- AWG wire.

The purpose of the link was to show the general shape and type of the Packard 56 to those, like me, who are not aware that is the name of that type terminal. As opposed to Weather-pack, Metri-pack, etc.

I did not actually procure THAT exact product, I have some LIKE that product which I would like to properly crimp.

Here is a more accurate product, 16-14 wire:
25 Packard 56 Series Female 16-14 Gauge Terminals GM 2965867: Other Automotive Parts: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific 25 Packard 56 Series Female 16-14 Gauge Terminals GM 2965867: Other Automotive Parts: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

So, now I have to carefully track the size range of the terminals too.

Is there any way to discern from looking at a loose terminal as shown above what its AWG compatible wire is?

Evidently the only way out is to just order the $500 kit that has a tool and lots of all sorts of terminals and housings.

So, anybody need a 70-72 W30 intake? Not sure which exact type it is.
:-)

"Of course, I've probably spent more than that buying cheap crimpers... "

FAST approaching that
Crimper at the buy n sell store 10
ratchet crimper maybe 10 long ago
SUMMIT dies $32
too-small unit $7 or so after I get a refund
other too-small unit $20

Plus the waiting and delay of the project.

Last edited by Octania; June 8th, 2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old June 8th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Administrator

These type of terminals have a mil-spec as most were developed for the aircraft or military applications. There are specific dimensions and crimp tolerances for each wire size. These can be found on the manufacturers or venders web site. The ratcheting crimpers are designed that way through thorough testing to enable the best crimp for that particular devices application. In the aircraft industry, crimpers have to go through periodic inspection and testing to ensure they are still in spec. Using a manual single crimper for double crimp terminals is ok for the hobbyist, but I assure you they are not crimped within the spec for the application of that terminal. Will it fail? Who knows, I would not want to bet my life at 30000 ft on one.

Here is a vender (I have never used them) that lists the terminal and if you click on the description will list the crimper and handling tools. It also lists them by awg size. Again these type of crimpers are not cheap.
http://crimpsupply.com/packard-delphi/packard-56
Old June 9th, 2016, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
These type of terminals have a mil-spec as most were developed for the aircraft or military applications. There are specific dimensions and crimp tolerances for each wire size. These can be found on the manufacturers or venders web site. The ratcheting crimpers are designed that way through thorough testing to enable the best crimp for that particular devices application. In the aircraft industry, crimpers have to go through periodic inspection and testing to ensure they are still in spec. Using a manual single crimper for double crimp terminals is ok for the hobbyist, but I assure you they are not crimped within the spec for the application of that terminal. Will it fail? Who knows, I would not want to bet my life at 30000 ft on one.

Here is a vender (I have never used them) that lists the terminal and if you click on the description will list the crimper and handling tools. It also lists them by awg size. Again these type of crimpers are not cheap.
http://crimpsupply.com/packard-delphi/packard-56

I am finding

http://crimpsupply.com/tools/crimpin...onnectors.html

Which goes up to 10 AWG wire/terminals.
$60 is not all that expensive.
I am there already in tools that range from not quite correct to very incorrect.

Thanks for that link!

I am somewhat familiar with proper crimps, attaining the proper crimp, and testing by inspection and pull force. FxSCO motors /Gxxnie had a garage door motor burn a house down due to a poor crimp. They got picky after that. I did some pull tester development there.
Old June 9th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Administrator

That looks like it will work for you. This thread reminded me I need to replenish my stock of PIDG terminals. Now I need to find an inexpensive source.
Old July 16th, 2017, 08:48 AM

This looks like the right type for Molex - Packard crimps - Hope it hasn't been posted already.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-W...FXH5oW&vxp=mtr
Old July 16th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by coldwar
This looks like the right type for Molex - Packard crimps - Hope it hasn't been posted already.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-W...FXH5oW&vxp=mtr
That should work, but the jaws I bought have openings for three different size terminals, not two. And of course, the fact that the title of the ad says "NOS" doesn't mean that this is a GM or Kent-Moore crimper. It's a Chinesium frame just like the one I got. It will work fine, but don't be mislead by the words.
Old January 19th, 2018, 11:50 AM

I joined this forum just to say that this thread has been extremely helpful to me. I'm restoring a 1968 Camaro and am doing an LS1/t56 swap but trying to integrate factory type connectors where I can. Lots of good info here!!
Old January 20th, 2018, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
I joined this forum just to say that this thread has been extremely helpful to me. I'm restoring a 1968 Camaro and am doing an LS1/t56 swap but trying to integrate factory type connectors where I can. Lots of good info here!!
Welcome to the Nutt Hutt!
Old April 29th, 2018, 10:08 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Molex-Style...MAAOSwqpha3R1y

Looks great for the occasional user, great price.
Old April 29th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by coldwar
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Molex-Style...MAAOSwqpha3R1y

Looks great for the occasional user, great price.
Depends on what you want. I tried one of those before I got the MSD jaws that I use now. Not as good as the correct jaws. This crimper only does one of the two crimps at a time as opposed to the correct ones that simultaneously crimp the conductor and insulation tabs. You pays your money and you takes your choice...

Old April 29th, 2018, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Depends on what you want. I tried one of those before I got the MSD jaws that I use now. Not as good as the correct jaws. This crimper only does one of the two crimps at a time as opposed to the correct ones that simultaneously crimp the conductor and insulation tabs. You pays your money and you takes your choice...

Just a blue-handled version of the ones I have been using for over 25 years and thousands of connectors. They are not as purty or as sophisticated as many of the proprietary crimpers I have but they are dead reliable.

Last edited by cjsdad; April 29th, 2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old April 30th, 2018, 06:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Just a blue-handled version of the ones I have been using for over 25 years and thousands of connectors. They are not as purty or as sophisticated as many of the proprietary crimpers I have but they are dead reliable.
I can't tell if your crimpers have the stepped crimp feature or not. The onese on ebay do not - the jaws are not thick enough. The MSD jaws that I have are much thicker and if you look at the photo closely, you will see that each of the crimp openings has two levels - to simultaneously crimp both the conductor and insulator tabs. These are two different diameters due to the thickness of the insulation. Yes, you can make two separate crimps to get the same result. It's more work, more time, and less precise.

Old July 10th, 2018, 02:53 PM

Joe, Will the msd 35051 spark plug wire crimp jaws work on smaller spark plug wires than 8.5? I have 8 mm wires on most stuff and would think it would still be fine. I have 7 mm stuff on my tractors and wondering if it would still work?
Old July 10th, 2018, 08:10 PM

That is like trying to use a 7/16 wrench on a 10mm nut. It will turn it but won't tighten it properly. The 8mm crimper will crimp the terminal on the 7mm wire but it won't be tight enough. If you ever need to pull the plug wire off it may simply pull the wire out of the end connector.
Old July 11th, 2018, 04:57 AM

I understand that but not seeing where they make jaws for the smaller wires. I did not know if they made the others in a way to do both. I would assume not but thought I would ask.
Old March 6th, 2019, 01:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Bringing this thread back for an Amazon special. I just got an email that Amazon is selling
Greenlee 2033 crimping dies Greenlee 2033 crimping dies
. These are exactly the same as the MSD dies I got for the Packard 56 terminals at half the price ($26 from Amazon vs $46 from MSD).

I also found the frame that these fit for $14 on line.

Quick Reply: seeking info on proper CRIMPER for Packard 56 terminals