Dome light Wiring help

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Car Whisperer

Dome light Wiring help

I am trying to install an alarm in my son's 67 cutlass 4 door. seems that getting to the back of the pin switches in the door is impossible from the back side. so, i would like to tap into the dome light circuit. anyone know an easy access point to the dome light wiring inside the car? thanx for any help!!
Old December 29th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by SnakeBit
I am trying to install an alarm in my son's 67 cutlass 4 door. seems that getting to the back of the pin switches in the door is impossible from the back side. so, i would like to tap into the dome light circuit. anyone know an easy access point to the dome light wiring inside the car? thanx for any help!!
Simply unscrew the pin switch and gently pull it out of the doorjamb. The wires will come with it. Keep in mind that +12v is applied to the dome light on the orange wire and the white wire runs from the light to the pin switches, where it is grounded when the doors are opened. This white wire also crosses from side to side under the dash, so you should be able to find it in the dash harness.

Of course, there are no switches on the back doors, so they are not protected by the alarm.

I'll apologize in advance here, but civic duty forces my to suggest that car alarms are useless for anything but pissing off the neighbors. Has anyone here ever called the cops after hearing a car alarm?

Didn't think so.

Put that effort into a good hidden kill switch instead. If the alarm is protecting a stereo system, hide the stereo. Actually, the best anti-theft device on the market today is a manual transmission.
Old December 29th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Car Whisperer

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Simply unscrew the pin switch and gently pull it out of the doorjamb. The wires will come with it. Keep in mind that +12v is applied to the dome light on the orange wire and the white wire runs from the light to the pin switches, where it is grounded when the doors are opened. This white wire also crosses from side to side under the dash, so you should be able to find it in the dash harness.

Of course, there are no switches on the back doors, so they are not protected by the alarm.

I'll apologize in advance here, but civic duty forces my to suggest that car alarms are useless for anything but pissing off the neighbors. Has anyone here ever called the cops after hearing a car alarm?

Didn't think so.

Put that effort into a good hidden kill switch instead. If the alarm is protecting a stereo system, hide the stereo. Actually, the best anti-theft device on the market today is a manual transmission.
Thanks for the help!!!

I did, on the driver side, manage to find the white wire behind the dash and going to the door that goes to the pin switch. I also took the dome light out and saw that it had a white and a red or orange/white wire, so figured the white was the ground.

I am already having problems with the alarm install. the alarm I have is brand new, but about 10 years old brand new. one I got to install in another car and never did. it goes off as soon as I put power to it and the remotes don't stop it. I don't have everything hooked up, but wanted to at least get one door hooked up to verify it worked. the remotes power is working so not sure what is happening there. originally was going to do a kill switch, but the alarm had one in it so figured I might as well use it since I bought it. may be a ....never mind!!! Thanx again!!
Old December 29th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Administrator

The alarm is going off probably because there are other inputs setting it off or its not working right. Do you have instructions or a model and make?
Old December 29th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Car Whisperer

I only have one thing hooked up right now...the driver door. I do have the manual, but it doesn't tell me anything that helps. i do have the model number and all. it was brand new in the box...just have had it a long time.